After a certain point, the answer to “What Would Suri Do?” just isn’t terribly challenging. This is why we must find new child icons to obsess over. And it looks like Blanket Jackson is the Shiloh Jolie-Pitt of the Jackson clan, stealing all the thunder from the other less pouty children. Even though his sister Paris is more eloquent and his brother Prince Michael is more, um, old, Michael Jackson’s youngest son Blanket has the magic about him. He’s got fashion icon potential and the talent to fill his dad’s shoes. So we’ve rounded up 10 reasons we’re obsessed with the little guy!
- The Boy Can Dance. Even though there’s something meta-creepy about Blanket performing “Billie Jean” and singing the chorus — “She says I am the one but the kid is not my son” — it still shows that at just 8 years old, he’s got the potential to become an awesome performer. A family friend said, “He could easily be the next Michael Jackson. He loved to dance with his dad and Michael taught him to do the moonwalk.” [Celebrity Baby Scoop]
- He’s The Funny One. Not only is Blanket adorable, he’s also the prankster of the family and has a habit of toting a water gun around. His uncle Jermaine says, “As soon as you turn your back, he shoots at you and you’re left soaking wet.” Sounds like we could get a “Punk’d” revival out of this one. [E! Online]
- He’s Not Afraid Of Heights. You might remember that the first time we saw Blanket was in 2002, when Michael Jackson was dangling him out of a Berlin hotel balcony, four stories above his gawking fans. Sure, it was terrifying and Jackson later called it a “terrible mistake,” but this is also how Jackson’s dumpling of a child was presented to us for the first time! And with that single act, he was guaranteed star power.
- Even His Name Is Cute. Sure, his real name is Prince Michael Jackson II, but Michael started calling him Blanket ’cause he was obviously the cutest kid ever. When asked about the nickname, Michael said, “It’s an expression I use with my family, I say, ‘You should blanket me … you should blanket her with something, meaning a blanket is a blessing, it’s a way of showing love and caring.” [You Tube]
- He’s Like Samson. Blanket holds power in his hair, just like in the Bible. Only it’s not his physical strength but this mystery that’s plagued the media for years: Who are Blanket’s biological parents? This is probably why Blanket has such long hair, because every time any of the kids get a haircut, security comes over and gathers up every last thread. What I want to know is what have they been doing with over a decade-worth of cut hair? [Daily Mail]
- He’s Got Some Fashion Skills. While Paris and Prince are both relatively preppy and put-together, Blanket looks like he dresses himself. He does the disheveled layering and casual ponytail like no one else. Hopefully, he’ll be inheriting all those partner-less gloves.
- He’s Already A YouTube Sensation. Somehow, a few of Paris and Blanket’s homemade videos were “hacked” and “leaked” onto YouTube. Most of the videos are Blanket joking around with one of his cousins, or dancing to some of his dad’s music. One of the videos shows Blanket playing with an invisible light saber and quoting “Star Wars.” It’s hard not to imagine him reenacting the “Luke, I am your father” scene. [TMZ]
- His Godfather Is Oliver. Michael Jackson asked his longtime friend Mark Lester to be Blanket’s godfather. You might remember Lester as playing the title role in the original 1968 “Oliver!” movie. The two met in 1982 after seeing each other in teen magazines as child stars growing up at the same time. Michael was the godfather to Lester’s children as well. Hopefully, he didn’t teach Blanket to pick a pocket or two. [Daily Mail]
- He’s The Next Karate Kid. All three of the kids take karate lessons and are at the same level, but since Blanket’s the youngest and may or may not be the child of a martial artist, he’s probably most likely to get a visit from Mr. Miyagi. Jaden Smith is cute and all, but it’s time to get Blanket on that road to success! [Just Jared]
- Everyone Wants To Be His Baby Daddy. If you’ve ever watched an episode of “Jerry Springer,” you know that dudes aren’t normally clamoring to claim paternity. This is why it’s a little strange that multiple men have claimed (or denied) paternity, including Michael’s former security guard and friend, martial artist Matt Fiddes who looks the most like Blanket and said he gave the pop star sperm a year before Blanket’s birth because Michael wanted an “athletic” child. Other supposed dads were Macaulay Culkin and Blankey’s godfather, Mark Lester. [Right Celebrity]
Original by Amelia McDonell-Parry @xoamelia