Most of the homeowners think that building permits are required only to change the structural framework of the property while window replacement doesn’t has any sort of requirement. In reality, this is wrong!
Windows are the major component for home’s performance, comfort and security and therefore, every Canadian township and city needs inspection and building permits to carry out different window replacement Edmonton projects. Though, keep in mind that residential building codes differ according to the areas in Edmonton. Homeowners just have to document all minimum regulations in accordance with:
- Energy efficiency
- Ventilation and natural light
- Safety glass
- Weather seal to resist mold growth, pest infestation and moisture intrusion
- Emergency egress requirements
Whether people live in Edmonton or any other area, all they have to do is to get the following information during the permit process:
Expansion and New Window Installation in Edmonton
When it comes to installing Edmonton windows, homeowners have to apply for building permit before a month because it may take longer during busy construction months- that range from May to September.
Here, the thing to remember is that energy efficiency requirements have been increased by the local government and inspections and building permits have to comply with new regulations:
- Take a look at the Safety Codes Act from Province of Alberta Permit Regulation. Make sure that building permits for structural alterations meet all safety standards
- Create a building plan and explain proposed window expansion or installation
- Visit the Municipal District office and apply for the permit. Key factors mentioned in the building permit should be plan examination, unsafe conditions, follow-up of problematic areas and complete report at the end of the project.
- Schedule an inspection with Municipal Affairs and ensure satisfactory rough construction.
Expansion and New Window Installation Permit in Calgary
Homeowners have to take a building permit either to install new windows or for window enlargement. They have to get approval for the project before hiring a construction company. Make sure that everything complies with the Building Code.
- Create a brief and complete Home Improvement Application
- Prepare a blueprint and make sure that Edmonton windows meet Egress Window Guidelines to give a safe passageway for an emergency
- Send online applications or personally with fee payment
- Ask for rough inspection after window installation followed by final inspection after completing the job- along with interior drywall work
Expansion and New Window Installation Permit in Winnipeg
Although Winnipeg doesn’t need the building permit for door and window replacement, it is necessary to meet all safety and building code requirements for structural changes. Window expansions and new window openings are the major alterations that homeowners can make on the existing structure. So, don’t forget to apply for building permit, including:
- National Building Codes to carry out construction work smoothly
- Take a look at the Building Permit Guide to collect specific information before submitting an application. This information includes civic address, nature of work, owner’ name and blueprint (scale drawings) under engineer’s stamp.
- Authority Having Jurisdiction is responsible to issue building permits. Homeowners just have to apply properly according to the projects that should not exceed $5,000 in any way.