It is difficult to underestimate how essential oil is even to the least sophisticated contemporary countries. No material provides more energy per extraction unit. Abundant and proven, oil will probably remain for some time the most popular source of energy on Earth.
With its 2023 plan to consume a total of 91,9 million barrels daily, the International Energy Agency is operating on a complex market with numerous instruments and vehicles for oil speculation or for investment in oil.
The oil trading futures are one method to bet on oil prices.
How Oil Trading Futures Contract Works?
- Oil Profit trading future contracts are theoretically straightforward. They continue the honourable habit of certain market players to sell risks to others who are happy to purchase them in the expectation of earning money. In other words, the price of oil (or soybeans or gold) will be determined not by buyers or sellers today, but somewhere in the future. While no one knows what price oil will trade in nine months, future market participants think they can. Check all here.
- For example, assume that Commodity X, presently sold at $30, will be offered in the next January contract for $35. A speculator who believes the price will really soar beyond $45, may buy the $35 contract by this time. If their forecast is right, they can purchase X for $35 and sell it for a profit of $10. But if X falls below $35, their contract is worthless.
- Again, the future contract provides a means for certain investors to obtain a guaranteed price $35 down the line; for them, one in the hand is better than two in the bush, albeit X goes to nothing. On the other side of the transaction they adhere to another axiom: nothing went forward, nothing won. If X hits $100 or even $200, the speculator who played X for $35 will make his investment many times. The price for which the goods in issue are anticipated to sell on the next day is clearly referred to as the “futures” price and may vary significantly from the current price.
- Unlike other farm commodities, oil trading futures settle monthly. Other future contracts may, for example, only settle four times a year. The additional frequency and regularity of petroleum contracts facilitates investors’ assessment of patterns or anticipated trends in future oil prices.
- In September 2023, oil trading at about 40 dollars per barrel—more than 100 dollars less than its peak oil prices. Oil traded at about $60 a barrel in December 2019. Demand has improved in some areas of the globe, but demand projections in 2023 have been adapted to reflect the weakness of the aviation industry. The world oil consumption is projected at 97.1 million barrels per day in 2023. Worldwide, inventory levels of products remain extremely high.
- Increased drilling has also reduced the significance of threats and manoeuvres of foreign cartels in the United States. What is a prospective investor to do, knowing that? Suppose that prices remain short-term or because we reach the point when prices approach production costs, thus there is nothing further to go except up?
How to Predict the Future of Oil Trading
In October 2023, subsequent contracts for the following month – November 2023 – will sell for $40,253.
The next month in December 2023 is at $40.53; January 2023 is $40.88; February 2023 is $40.22; and in a time of two years oil prices are projected to reach $43.46 a barrel (or at least, oil prices are projected at the futures contract level). The increase doesn’t end there either. In addition to the two year threshold, oil futures are less semi-annual or even yearly than monthly. For 2031, the newest contract available sells for $50.34.
Two things: first, forecasting market shifts for over 10 years therefore means predicting the weather or the results of the Super Bowl thus long in advance. The New England Patriots may be in arms in 2031 or simply 1-15: the overwhelming majority of the players on this squad are unknown, presently in college or even high school.
The world of 2031 will not be similar enough to today’s forecasts. However, there is a 2031 petroleum future market, even though history indicates that forecasting prices thus far is a hazardous game.
Pick Your Venue
The NYMEX WTI Light sweet Crude Oil contracts for futures (CL) is traded over the 10 million contract per month and provides outstanding liquidity. However, it comes with an extremely high risk due to the 1,000 barrel unit for the contract as well as the .01 per barrel of minimum price fluctuations. 3 There are numerous other energy-related products that are offered by NYMEX and the majority of them are popular with professional traders and speculators; however, there are few investors or private traders.
The U.S. Oil Fund offers the most well-known method to invest in crude oil via the stock market, posting an average daily volume in excess of 20 million shares. The security is a tagging system for WTI futures but is prone to a contango due to the differences between the first month and contracts with longer duration which limit the amount that price extension extensions can be. 4
Companies in the oil industry and sector-specific funds offer a wide range of exposure to the industry that includes exploration, production and oil service activities offering different opportunities and trends.
While most companies follow general trends in crude oil prices, they can be divergent for extended periods. The counter-swings usually occur when markets for equity are in a sharp upward trend with sell-offs or rallies leading to cross-market correlation which promotes locking-in between various sectors.
To oil trading futures, you need two distinct characteristics: patience and audacity. You also need a big bankroll to start. Future oil agreements are not measured in barrels, but in thousands of barrels, so the future of oil trading is very bright.