Teeth improvement by means of fixing veneers was first used in dental practice in the early 20th century thanks to the efforts of a Californian (USA) dentist. The technology soon became popular among then Hollywood cinema stars, though Hollywood veneers could mask dental defects only for a short period of time.
- For what purpose veneers are installed
- To whom veneers are recommended
- When it is better to refrain from installing aesthetic shells
- Which clinic to choose for veneer installation?
- Types of dental shells used in DentaTur clinics
- How veneers are placed
- How to take care of veneers
For what purpose veneers are installed
Veneer shells help correct
- irregular units of the tooth row;
- enamel color (veneers have a lighter shade than natural teeth);
- traumatic chips;
- the uneven or rough surface of the enamel;
- defects caused by various oral cavity diseases;
- major gaps in teeth that present an obvious aesthetic problem.
The placement of veneers on irregular teeth helps make them look even and attractive. The exact algorithm of the installation is proposed by the doctor after the individual dental examination, taking into consideration the patient’s preferences. The total duration of the installation process may take from 2-3 days to two weeks, depending on the complexity of the procedure and on how many veneers are going to be fixed (one shell only or a whole-mouth set of veneers).
To whom veneers are recommended
This technique for the elimination of dental defects is mostly used on front teeth. Besides, a good result is achieved when conducting micro-prosthodontics of grown rear teeth which require correction.
Dental veneers help
- achieve efficient teeth whitening;
- render the tooth row more regular;
- eliminate visible chips and cracks;
- obtain a beautiful smile.
When it is better to refrain from installing aesthetic shells
There are certain contraindications to the installation of dental veneers. In case of a major tooth loss or severe dental defects, it is necessary to opt for other efficient types of dental treatment.
In particular, it is recommended to abstain from installing veneers if any of the following holds
- absence of a considerable number of teeth;
- the high degree of night teeth grinding (bruxism);
- presence of one or more large-sized fills, especially on the inner side of the tooth row;
- pathological dental attrition;
- presence of periodical tooth traumatizing (martial arts training etc.);
- progressing diseases which cause rapid destruction of dental tissues;
- presence of bad habits – biting of nails, seeds, nuts or foreign objects.
Which clinic to choose for veneer installation?
Today veneers can be fixed in major clinics all over the world, including the USA, Europe, and Turkey. The difference lies in the quality of treatment and its price. The cost of installing veneers in the USA and Europe is 5-10 times higher than in Turkey.
No wonder lately Turkey has become popular not only from the touristic and recreational point of view but also in terms of local dental treatment.
Turkey offers a wide spectrum of dental services – from aesthetic dentistry to dental surgery, according to the chain of clinics, DentaTur. As they point out, they get a large number of patients from different countries who are looking to get the veneers.
Types of dental shells used in DentaTur clinics
Composite veneers are nowadays almost out of use since they are made of materials that do not meet contemporary requirements. It is an obsolete technique which is also called “direct veneers” as their installation is performed during a single visit to the dentist who covers the treated surface with veneer material layer by layer. The duration of the session is approximately 4 hours. The same technique is used for the fixation of components – a new type of shell material.
In order to produce and install indirect dental constructions, it is necessary to make several visits to the clinic. In this case, shells get manufactured by a dental technician on the basis of individual stamps. During the last session, the doctor performs the installation of dental shell prostheses.
Ceramic veneers are the most widely used type of dental shells. Ceramics helps achieve durability, low weight, reliability, and outstanding aesthetic properties. This material is not prone to time changes and serves for a long period of time. Ultra-thin ceramic shells are called lumineers. They do not require preliminary tooth facing.
- Porcelain veneers in terms of their physical properties are similar to ceramic ones and present an alternative dental reconstruction technique.
- Zirconium veneers belong to the most costly options.
How veneers are placed
The procedure includes three stages
- Discussion of the required conditions, dental diagnostics, selection of color, submission of the necessary data to the dental laboratory.
- Dental tissue facing, digital stamping, computer modeling, installation of temporary shells. Permanent veneers get produced in the laboratory with the use of burr cutting technique.
- Final trying and fixing.
Clients often ask how long veneer shells last. The lifetime of composite veneers is limited to 5-7 years. Ceramic shells preserve their initial properties for about 10 years while lumineers serve for up to 20 years.
How to take care of veneers
Since dental veneers are considered to be artificial tooth enamel, taking care of them has much in common with ordinary oral hygiene. It is important that the patient respects the following rules of taking care of veneers:
- Clean your teeth two times a day (before breakfast and prior to going to bed);
- Use irrigator (a special device which employs a current of water under pressure to efficiently clean intra-dental gaps and remove tooth plaque) and a mouthwash;
- In order to remove food residuals, use dental floss but avoid moving it in the vertical direction;
- As necessary (but at least two times a year) visit your dentist to undergo dental examination and professional tooth cleaning;
- Do not eat solid, sticky or fibrous foods, avoid exposing front teeth to excessive pressure;
- Minimize the consumption of foods which can lead to enamel discoloring, give up smoking;
- Do not disregard any changes on your dental shells (cracks, chips, gaps, roughness or darkening) as well as problems with gums or teeth themselves.