When your teeth are twisted, overcrowded or imperfectly aligned, a dentist will suggest you do an orthodontic treatment. One major suggestion will be to wear braces. The traditional braces are not discreet. Since they are effective in improving the appearance and alignment of your teeth, someone is able to notice the visible wire. In addition, the wire can irritate you.
Fortunately, there are Invisalign invisible braces that you can wear. They are clear, thermoplastic aligners that are fitted to the teeth. They work similar to the traditional options. The extra advantages are that they are imperceptible and don’t have an irritant metal wire. So, if you are looking for an indiscrete way to wear braces, you should consider the option.Source: Harris Dental Boutique
But before you go for the treatment, you should know what to expect.
Before the commencement of an Invisalign treatment, you should expect:
- Consultation session: You’ll sit down with an orthodontist to discuss the details of the procedure. The expert will take the opportunity to briefly examine your teeth. You’ll also be informed about future expectations.
- 3D imaging: After the sit-down, the orthodontist will direct you to have an x-ray. This will be used to determine a 3D appearance of your teeth.
- Virtual plan: After looking at your 3D images, the orthodontist will come up with a virtual plan for your treatment. The plan will show how the treatment will be done and how your teeth will look in the end. The plan will be used throughout the treatment process.
- Customized braces: Once the expert has the virtual plan, the next thing is to produce Invisalign invisible braces that suit your teeth. For a month, you’ll be offered two braces, each taking you two weeks.
Post Treatment Expectations
As you start the treatment, which normally runs for several months, you should expect the following:
- A healthier smile: After the treatment, you should expect to start smiling better. Since there are no visible metal wires, no one would notice anything unusual when you open your mouth. The smile will look natural.
- Slight discomfort: This doesn’t happen immediately after the invisible braces are fitted. Actually, it’s a good sign since it shows that your teeth are becoming realigned and you are moving closer to achieving a natural smile.
- Checkups: You are expected to go back to see your orthodontist after every 6-8 weeks. This is to ensure that the treatment is working. You also get the opportunity to collect the bracelets that you’ll be using in the subsequent weeks.
- Refinements: Towards the end, you may need some refinement. It’s meant to improve the result of the treatment. The cost of the refinement is usually included in the initial cost for the Invisalign treatment.
- Retainers: Lastly, you’ll be offered retainers just before the invisible braces are removed. They are meant to support your teeth when the braces are finally detached.
When you know what to expect before and after an Invisalign treatment, it becomes easy to go through the treatment. You can use the above tips for starters. If there is anything that’s not clear, you may find it necessary to talk to your orthodontist.