With the threat of the pandemic decreasing and the travel restrictions easing, is visiting Michigan on your mind? So, what is it going to be, Great lakes tranquility or Detroit excitement?
You might be a party animal or a nature lover who prefers being amidst forests and water bodies, or maybe even an aesthete who wants to explore the art museums; no matter your preferences, you can do it all.
Detroit has a nightlife that you’ll never get over. Watch a live comedy show, bowl all night, play board games with your loved ones, or try your luck in the casinos. Maybe this is why Detroit is the most exciting city in America.
Wake up early, make your way to one of the great lakes spots, and voila! You have a place amidst the scenic beauty to sit with your thoughts. Great lakes tranquility is not the one to be missed after a wild, chaotic night.
They say balance is the key. Is it really, though? Are you torn between experiencing Great Lakes tranquility or Detroit excitement? To help you choose and plan your trip, here’s a guide specially curated for you:
Art and architectural attractions in Detroit
An art lover’s heaven and a treat to the eyes of a layman – art museums have become the top tourist attraction spots. Detroit is also known for its architecture and designs. The Renaissance Centre and the One Detroit Center are the most notable architectural designs.
- The Henry Ford Museum Of American Innovation – Located in the Detroit suburb of Dearborn, this is easily the most famous museum. It was also voted the most incredible museum in the world in 2018 by the New York Times.
- Detroit Institute of Arts – It has one of the largest art collections, with over 100 galleries. From the artwork to the architecture, everything about this place is iconic.
- Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History holds the World’s largest permanent collection of African American culture.
These are the top art and architectural attractions in Detroit. Detroit has innumerable architectural masterpieces; the ones listed are just the tip of the iceberg.
Nightlife in Detroit
Have trouble sleeping when in Detroit? Why sleep when in Detroit anyway? The nightlife in Detroit is incredible. From casinos to attending live comedy shows, you won’t waste a second of sleep.
- Garden bowl – Live music with a bar and grill, with varieties of food to choose from the menu. It’s also America’s oldest bowling center.
- Mark Ridley’s Comedy Castle – A nightclub featuring comedians and live comedy shows? Life couldn’t get better.
- MotorCity Casino Hotel – Game the night away and explore their unique dining options. Have the ultimate experience of luxury.
Go out and play all night and meet new people and hear new stories; sounds like quite a plan. If you don’t want to go out, you can still play poker in Michigan online casinos and spend the night having fun in the comfort of your room. It will allow you to have fun in your pajamas. Check gambling.com to do so.
The Great lakes region – an adventurer’s favorite spot
Be it camping, hiking, water sports, or fishing; Great lake regions have it all. You can also stay amidst the tranquility of the lake and enjoy the peace.
- Cliff jump at the Grotto – Located near lake Huron, an experience you’ll never forget. Get your dose of adrenaline and push through your limits to create new experiences.
- Explore Point Pelee – Located near lake Erie, it has the best sunrise and sunset views.
- Turnip rock – Kayak to turnip rock on lake Huron. You can also ice walk during the winter.
- Split Rock Lighthouse – If you’re in the mood to hike, head to Split Rock Lighthouse. It’s known for its sea caves and kayaking adventures.
If you’re a nature person, exploring the Great Lakes region is a must. All the places near the Great lakes region are serene and breathtakingly beautiful. The Great Lakes tranquility is unmatched and far from the city noise. It’s a great chance if you’re looking for a detour from the noisy city life.
Wildlife at Great Lakes regions
The clean climate and lack of human interference make these regions one of the best ecosystems for wildlife to thrive.
From Canada Lynx to American Toad, it’s home to numerous species of flora and fauna.
- Black bears can be spotted around lake Superior, whereas piranhas can be spotted in lake Michigan.
- If you’re an avid bird watcher, Presqu’ile Provincial Park located in Ontario is the place to go.
Every spot near the Great lakes region has incredible wildlife. Great Lake Moment by John Hartig is one of the best columns to read before exploring the Great Lakes.
The cuisine in Detroit
If you’re a food enthusiast and want to try out all the food the place has to offer, here’s a mini-guide for you.
- Detroit-style pizza – This has to be the most talked-about iconic pizza in Detroit. The square pizza is topped with pepperoni, a block of cheese that forms the cheesy crust, and the blend of secret spices in the sauce makes Buddy’s pizza as iconic as it is today.
- Bucharest Grill – Craving for some Lebanon, middle east food? What better place to eat chicken shawarma than Bucharest Grill. With pickled vegetables, garlic sauce, and chicken wrapped up in pita bread, this shawarma is a top favorite among locales.
- Salted maple pie – A pie that is right out of Sister Pie bakery that’s the right amount of sweet and salty is a masterpiece. It satisfies your sugar craving without making you hate the last bites because it’s too sweet.
- Coney dog – A Detroit’s favorite, topped with beanless chilies, onions, and yellow mustard set it apart from your conventional hot dog.
Experiment, seek discomfort, step out of your boundaries and explore Detroit, the great lakes region, the various cuisines, and the numerous activities. Are you still confused about Great Lakes tranquility or Detroit’s excitement? Why not both? Here’s to exploring and traveling and not shying away from experiencing new things.