Those who have ever considered getting NHR status in Portugal should certainly read this material. It will reveal the basics to come across to make the process as painless as possible. So, let’s begin in case you are ready!
First of all, it is important to realize that the process of getting NHR is linked to preparing certain documents and filling in the application. You won’t be able to receive the status unless you do so. However, things are not as hard and tough as they might seem to be. You should only follow specific instructions, and you will not experience any major problems.
- Why Is It So Good to Have Such a Status?
- Check That You Can Apply for the NHR Status
- Applying for NHR: Option 1
- Applying for NHR: Option 2
- Some FAQs Linked to Receiving NHR
Why Is It So Good to Have Such a Status?
Those who plan to receive NHR Portugal, are well aware of some benefits it may present them with. Nevertheless, it is never odd to list the pros one more time. Well, this is what has to be taken into account for sure:
- It is really cool to have this status in case you are a retired person. You are about to be exempt from paying taxes on pensions which do not originate in Portugal. Rather nice, isn’t it?
- Besides, the NHR status presents those who plan to work in Portugal with quite a fine opportunity. To be exact, you will come across a fixed rate of income tax that equals 20%. It refers to all professions that are considered to be connected with high-value-added skills. Some of those jobs include being a teacher, an architect, a senior executive, and so on.
Check That You Can Apply for the NHR Status
It is going to be possible to request NHR if you follow the requirements suggested below:
- You live abroad.
- You have not been a Portuguese resident within the last five years.
- You intend to move to Portugal and live there.
It is important to note that a person will be referred to as a resident of Portugal only if he spends no less than 183 days in this country. Besides, having a primary home there is one more reason to be considered a Portuguese resident.
Applying for NHR: Option 1
You are free to start doing everything by means of getting assistance from the government. First of all, you will have to register at a tax office and get your NIF which is a tax identification number. Then, it is time to fill out an online form and get a password that will grant you access to the tax authority site. There, you are going to be able to register as a non-habitual resident.
Doing so is linked to getting the necessary documents ready. The basic condition to follow is to prove your identity and provide NIF. Besides, you are likely to be asked to show the statement of your fiscal address in Portugal and suggest a bank statement. Then, you will have to wait until everything is submitted.
Applying for NHR: Option 2
There is an easier variant to stick to if you are interested in such an idea. You can order the services of the intermediary. The team of skillful experts will help you to go through the process of receiving NHR without any extra issues.
It means that you will not have to go anywhere and arrange a visit to the authorities. Instead of this, you get the scans of your documents, upload them to the website of the intermediary and enjoy the results! You simplify the procedure a lot simply by paying for the service others are eager to provide you with.
The price for such a service may differ and depends on various factors. First of all, it is linked to how experienced the intermediary is, when the team has entered the market and how many people they have helped. All of this influences how much you will be charged.
Well, if you like such an option, go ahead and order this type of service. Normally, you simply have to provide a few documents in order to start. Here they are:
- Residence permit in Portugal or EU passport;
- A bank statement (its value may be different linked to the intermediary you are working with);
- Statement of fiscal address outside Portugal (it may be your property or rent contract, it doesn’t really matter);
If you do not have NIF, you can also request it by cooperating with the same intermediary. It is not going to be hard and you won’t have to wait for too long in this case.
It is also important to note that you will not only get your NHR status but will also receive support from the legal department within the process.
Some FAQs Linked to Receiving NHR
What shall I do not to have any problems with getting the status of NHR?
You need to get all the documents ready in advance and stick to the variant of getting NHR that suits you more. To do this, analyze everything really carefully, and go ahead with initiating the process.
How long does it take to get NHR?
It depends on what variant you are interested in more. If you choose to order the service of getting NHR status by means of receiving assistance from the intermediary, things will turn out to be faster. Normally, it takes from two to three weeks to handle the request in case you come across a reliable company or firm to deal with.
What is the main advantage of receiving NHR?
The best thing you will be able to come across as a result of receiving NHR is to reduce the amount of taxes you owe to the government. This is what people who aim to get NHR strive to experience.
So, the best of luck with receiving your NHR status no matter what option you will select! Choose the way of doing so that suits you the most, and you will certainly be fine!