Are you planning on buying a diamond ring and proposing to your girlfriend? With so many diamonds to choose from, finding the perfect one might be an overwhelming and time-consuming thing to do. Especially if you do not know what you should consider and think about when buying a ring of such value. Hence, here is a list of tips that you should think about when visiting a jewelry store:
Know the 4Cs
The first thing that you should learn about diamonds is the 4Cs. The 4Cs are the color, cut, clarity, and carat weight of the diamonds. Created by the GIA, the 4Cs are considered a global standard for evaluating the quality of a diamond ring.
– The 4Cs are:
1. The Color – D-to- Z colors rate the diamond’s lack of it. Diamonds with less color are rarer.
2. The Cut – the quality of the cut is determined by how well it unleashed its light.
3. The Clarity – the clarity allude to the absence of blemishes and inclusions.
4. The Carat weight – the weight is decided by the diamond’s size.
Once you understand what these mean, your next step should be to consider which of the 4Cs is the most important to you. By categorizing the 4Cs, it will help you to eliminate some diamond rings right away.
Understand the difference between the shape, cutting styles, and the diamond cut quality
Before choosing a ring, you need to know that the differences are between the diamond shape, cutting style, and its cut quality. The most popular shape is round, but there are other shapes as well which include pear, oval, marquise, square, and heart cuts. The cutting styles refer to how the diamond is arranged. The usual arrangement for round diamonds is the brilliant cutting style with a specific order of 57-58 facets. The other style, for example, the emerald cut is a square or rectangular shape that has four long facets along the sides and corners. The cut points out how well the diamond facets interact with the light.
Pick a metal for the ring
The type of metal you choose for the ring band will affect the price and look of the ring. Platinum and white gold are the most popular choices since they both feature a sleek, modern look.
Here is some important information about the metals you might choose:
1. Platinum – it is a gray-white metal that is considered to be elegant, durable and resistant.
2. Gold – gold has been used in jewelry crafting for thousands of years. It fascinates people because of its color, rarity, and luster.
3. Sterling silver – this type of silver is usually used in crafting jewelry, but it is not commonly used in engagement rings since it is not the most durable metal out there.
Choose the setting
A diamond is held in its place by the setting. It highlights the diamond and it also protects it from being damaged.
Here are the three usual settings:
1. Prong – a diamond will be held in place with 4-6 prongs.
2. Bezel – a thin metal strip is pushed or hammered around the precious gem to hold it in place.
3. Halo – in this setting, small diamonds encircle the central stone.
Pick the side stones
Side stones are a great way to fancy up the ring. They provide sophistication and elegance to the wearer. Some popular choices are a channel or pave diamonds along the ring, diamond baguettes on either side and colored gems in any number.
As an engagement ring will be worn by her for the rest of her life, you should choose one that will fit her, and not you. Put aside your own tastes and styles, and choose a ring that will fit her personality the best.