One of the most popular career goals is to become a doctor. Future doctors foster their passion for helping other people, and they often start developing and studying medicine-related disciplines before they actually apply for medical school. Medicine is a versatile field, it can be studied anywhere in the world, so you will be able to choose from a vast list of medical schools. Often, people think it is easy to choose a medical school abroad, but since that decision is a life-changing one, you will need to think long and hard before opting for a school.
Why should you study medicine in Europe, and not in the USA?
There are differences between teaching in Europe and teaching in other countries. When it comes to the differences between Europe and America, here is what is different:
1. In Europe, the study lasts for six years, while in the USA, it lasts for 4 years
2. In Europe, training is included and the total period before you can start your career in Europe is 6-7 years, while it is 10 years in America.
3. Tuition fees are lower in Europe, and they are usually 60.000-150.000 dollars, and in America, you will have to pay 140.000-240.000 dollars.
4. Entry exams in Europe do not require tests such as the MCAT, which usually requires 1-2 years of preparation.
If you are considering to study medicine in Europe, here is a list of the best schools that you can apply for:
6. Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands (ranked 70th worldwide)
This college is internationally recognized for its research in the health field. Its medical center is the largest one in Europe and it mainly focuses on clinical, health, and biomedical science, especially in the fields of genomics and bioinformatics.
5. The Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany (ranked 67th worldwide)
This university has an integrated hospital Charite which is both a research and training center. Students will have the chance to engage in student councils and come up with new, innovative ideas and theories that are related to teaching, learning, and research in the medical field. Both students and staff come from over 80 different countries and patients worldwide choose to be treated at this hospital.
4. KU Leuven, Belgium (ranked 48th worldwide)
This college of medicine is involved in various international projects and networks and is a part of the Biomedical Science Group. This school has a consistent group of international students. The main focus of this school is research and there are also various studies on health, technology, and science.
3. Karolinska Institute, Sweden (ranked 40th worldwide)
This university is located right next to Sweden’s capital, in the town of Solna. This college is one of the most prestigious Medical institutions in the world. Karolinska is a place that focuses on innovation and practice, as well as the theoretical side of medicine.
2. LMU Munich, Germany (ranked 32nd worldwide)
Ludwig-Maximilians- Universitat (LMU) Munich has a tradition that is centuries old and is one of the most internationally renowned colleges in Germany. Research services support every researcher during all phases of their research, from the consultations on funding to the administrative and legal aspects of the project, you will be fully covered.
1. ETH Zurich (ranked 11th worldwide)
Founded over 150 years ago, the ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology is one of the most important institutions in STEM research. It is one of the most important and highly ranked colleges and a degree at ETH will make your CV stand out from the crowd.