The United States birth rate just hit a record low, as more and more twenty- and thirty-somethings are putting off the parenting phase of their lives. But make no mistake, they’re still spoiling, coddling, primping and using baby-talk. It’s just directed at … furrier companions. Have pampered pets become our adorable and adopted, but no less important children? Here are 23 ways that pet ownership is basically parenthood — minus the maternity leave.
1. The first time you hear your pet cry, you’re hooked.
Has the world ever known a more beautiful whimper?
2. Your pet deserves the best, so you buy her a bed as soft as a cloud.
Sometimes even a 22-carat-gold mattress won’t please your picky pooch… so you end up just letting her sleep “next” to you — which soon turns into her letting you sleep next to her. On your bed.
This probably comes at the expense of your significant other, or your general comfort, depending on the size or willingness of your pet to share.
But you just can’t say no to that face.
3. You splurge on organic fresh food for your pet.
But all he seems to want is Meow Mix and catnip. Or maybe your very particular Labrador is always lusting for more Kobe Beef jerkey infused with truffle oil (it only costs $1,000), and the other neighborhood dog parents are starting to judge you.
4. You take your pet everywhere, and sometimes forget it has legs of its own.
Why make your dog exert himself on your walk/run when you can just bring him along in a jogger-stroller? And if he gets too “cool” for that, you’ll pimp his ride:
A John Deere for doggy!
5. You try so hard to do everything right, but still, potty training remains your Everest.
It looks SO easy on the box!
6. You can’t help dressing your pet up.
Even though she hates it.
He just looks so dang cute. Have you considered buying him a pair of Roberto Cavalli shorts? They’re worth the hundreds of dollars! How about other accessories?
She’ll thank you when she’s older!!
7. Even his most awkward phases are incredibly adorable to you.
What do you mean, his head’s too big for his body??
Original by Huffington Post Weird News