Thanksgiving is just around the corner, which means in between gorging on pumpkin pie and crying in the bathroom about something terrible your uncle said, it’s time to give thanks for the multitude of blessings in our lives. We’re pretty good about being grateful for all the usual suspects–health, family, career–but sometimes we overlook all the little things that make life awesome. You know, like a perfectly timed commute or the arrival of a warm bread basket at a restaurant. Read on to see 50 random things we’re so thankful for, and feel free to add your own in the comments!
1. Good hair days.
2. Best friends you can call anytime about anything.
3. When the trains are running on time and you manage to make the perfect commute.
4. The ridiculously ratty T-shirt from college you still wear to bed.
5. Baristas who have your extra hot soy mocha order memorized.
6. Netflix Instant. Seriously, how did we ever live without it?
7. When someone asks for directions and you actually know the answer and feel kind of heroic.
8. Books that are so good you literally cry when they’re over.
9. The sound of a dog eating kibble.
10. Getting the perfect tidbit of advice right when you needed to hear it.
12. The old guy on your block who tells you how nice you look all the time.
13. Having exact change.
14. Getting to know your parents as unique adult human beings instead of “mom” and “dad.”
15. A really kick ass and accurate horoscope.
16. That incredible feeling you have right after you finish a yoga class.
17. A warm bread basket at a restaurant.
18. Finding the most amazing blouse on the clearance rack and there’s only one and it’s your size.
19. The existence of clementines.
20. A fresh pair of tights that don’t have any holes in them.
21. When you can’t resist popping a huge zit and then your skin actually clears up.
22. Genuine, heartwarming internet comments.
23. Text messages from your parents.
24. Unexpectedly amazing nights out–the kind where you planned to go home and watch TV alone and suddenly find yourself having the time of your life karaokeing David Bowie songs with your friends.
25. The smell of Japanese quince candles.
26. When you don’t have your period on your birthday or some other really important event.
27. Discovering new music and/or creating the World’s Most Perfect Playlist.
28. Drinking coffee in bed.
29. When the nail salon has the exact shade of polish you wanted.
30. A fridge full of cold Diet Coke.
31. The sound of a cat purring.
32. Discovering the shade of lipstick that was basically made for you.
33. Going to a wedding that’s actually fun for everyone.
34. When you step on the treadmill intending to do a mile and before you know it you’ve run five and are still going strong.
35. Finding an adorable designer dress at a thrift store for $15.
36. Guys who really like to go down on you.
37. Weekend getaways that leave you energized and inspired to start your work week.
38. Buying a new piece of jewelry that is SO YOU.
39. That first day of winter when the heat comes on.
40. Flirting at red lights.
41. Craft projects that turn out exactly how they’re supposed to.
42. Buying a big bouquet of fresh flowers, just because.
43. Finding the perfect gift for a friend and seeing the look on their face when they open it.
44. The feeling of leaves crunching under your boots.
45. The Adrienne Rich poem “Power.”
46. Unexpected messages from old friends on Facebook.
47. Inside jokes–the dumber, the better.
48. When visiting parents or relatives pick up the tab for dinner.
49. Hitting the big note while you’re singing along to a song in the car.
50. Ryan Gosling. Always.
What are you thankful for this year? Anything to add to our list?
Original by Winona Dimeo-Ediger