As your baby achieves milestones, it is natural for parents to be eager enough to boot up the tiny feet of the baby ( specifically walking ones ) with soft-soled shoes, comfortable clothing, a pair of sunglasses, hats when put in their strollers while visiting the park. But, when does this happen? What’s the right age for kids to own a pair of baby shoes?
If you have these questions in mind, then Parenthood Bliss has the answers to them. Read on to the article below to know when to purchase a pair of baby walking shoes for your baby with size recommendations on what you must look for!
- When must one buy a baby’s First Pair of Shoes?
- Is it ok for Pre-Walkers to wear baby shoes? Do they really need shoes?
- Famous Baby Shoe Styles for both, the Baby Girls and the Boys
- First Styles shoes for the Baby Boys
- First Styles footwear for the Baby Girls
- Appropriate shoe sizes for babies
- What to keep in mind while looking for the best pair of baby walking shoes
- To Conclude: What to stay away from when looking for the perfect pair?
- FAQs: At what age should a baby start wearing shoes? : Explained
When must one buy a baby’s First Pair of Shoes?
The simple answer to this question regarding the purchase of the best pair is when the tiny feet are ready to ‘stride rite’ or when they are comfortable enough to start taking a walk outside.
Pro tip: In the initial stages, when the baby learns to walk before they get their best baby shoes, make sure they go barefoot for some time. This helps them to literally get their feet on and perfect the coordination while gaining good balance. However, let that only last indoors and only in the initial stage.
Is it ok for Pre-Walkers to wear baby shoes? Do they really need shoes?
As per studies, wearing baby walking shoes is not recommended for pre-walkers who are learning to walk and must only practice barefoot at home. Nonetheless, if you are keen on getting a pair as soon as the baby starts walking in order to protect your baby’s feet, opt for ones that have soft soles, are comfortable, breathable, and flexible to the feet of the toddler.
Now that we understand the need for a soft sole and the shoes to be comfortable, it might still be a little confusing with the options available in the market today that tend to justify their compatibility. Perhaps, we have a few ideas in order to buy the right pair that is not just stylish but also safe for babies. Read on to know them all!
Famous Baby Shoe Styles for both, the Baby Girls and the Boys
Here is a list of the variety of baby walking shoes available in the market as per their styles for both the boys and the girls:
First Styles shoes for the Baby Boys
- Boots or leather boots(for cold weathers)
- Cute walking sneakers (Velcro, laces, or snaps)
- Slip-on shoes (for pre-walkers)
First Styles footwear for the Baby Girls
- Slip-on shoes (for pre-walkers)
- Booties or boots
- Mary Janes
- Walking sneakers (Velcro, laces, or snaps)
- Sandals with ankle straps
Appropriate shoe sizes for babies
Listed below are the different baby shoe sizes in the generic US categorized as per the age groups:
- 0 to 3 months old baby – Size 1 or 3.5 inches approximately
- 3 to 6 months old baby – Size 2 or 3.75 inches approximately
- 6 to 9 months old baby – Size 2.5 or 4 to 4.20 inches approximately
- 9 to 12 months old toddler – Size 3.5 or 4.20 to 4.5 inches approximately
- 12 to 18 months old – Size 4.5 or 4.5 to 4.75 inches approximately
- 18 to 24 months old – Size 5.5 or 6 or 4.75 to 5.25 inches approximately
What to keep in mind while looking for the best pair of baby walking shoes
Here is a list for parents to help them look for the best baby shoe for the little munchkin:
- No shoes for beginners: Avoid your baby wearing shoes as soon as they learn to walk. This is because it hampers their balance and coordination.
- Look for signs: Parents must look for signs and observe when the baby is ready to walk around 7 to 18 months. These signs include, the baby walking without help, is well-balanced, and confident, that’s when you may make the transition from the crawling baby to walking shoes.
- Choose the right baby shoe: This helps in the development of the baby’s feet, especially the heel as it provides ample support. Get ones that are anti-slip, have a flexible sole, and lightweight.
- Must snug on the heels and the midfoot: The baby walking shoes you look for must be of the perfect fit and not too big or small. Look for the pair that allows room for your little ones to wiggle their developing toes after wearing them.
- Should be of a breathable quality: Avoid synthetic material baby walking shoes, but look for a breathable quality, like mesh or leather shoes instead.
Note – Choose hard-soled baby walking shoes once the baby is comfortable in walking without support, and when going outdoors.
To Conclude: What to stay away from when looking for the perfect pair?
The feet of the little babies are quite delicate when they are learning to walk. Therefore, it is important to stay away from baby walking shoes that could perhaps cause any harm to the baby’s feet. For this reason, you must:
- Shoes that appear inwards or outwards when worn by the baby, indicates ill-fitting
- When the toe is curled, this happens when the shoe is too small for their feet
- In case the nails of the baby’s feet are discolored or inflamed. This happens with tight-fitting shoes that are prone to injury
- If your baby shows any kinds of lumps, redness, soreness on the toes and ankles
Parents must try to visit the shop with their kids instead of purchasing elsewhere. In this way, you can avoid most of the problems in the first place. Also, remember to always refer to the size and age chart of the baby to the perfect pair. Nevertheless, do not shy away from consulting the pediatrician considering the baby’s foot, they are the best source to get in touch with.
FAQs: At what age should a baby start wearing shoes? : Explained
1) When should you put shoes on a baby?
A baby can start wearing baby walking shoes when they are ready and confident to walk, that is somewhere around the 7th to the 18th month). Therefore, as soon as you observe that your baby is now comfortable, you can choose to transition the infant to walking shoes.
2) Why should babies be barefoot when learning to walk?
It is important for the babies to be barefoot in the initial stages when they learn to walk as it helps them develop muscles and ligaments, and also strengthen the foot’s arch. Not only that, but it also helps them improve their proprioception that is beneficial for their motor skills development.
3) Is it bad to put sneakers on a baby?
It is quite debatable among pediatricians as to the potential effects of baby walking shoes on the developing feet. However, the American Academy of Pediatrics has advised avoiding baby walking shoes for learners until they begin to walk. This is to help them get a good balance and learn to walk much confidentially.