Everyone must have heard about this term called “Mileage”. Car owners, car lovers, and all potential owners must be aware of it. So what does it mean? Mileage is basically the distance that a car has travelled or the distance that it can travel using a litre of fuel. It is generally quantified in terms of miles.
When we own a car or even think about owning one, we wish that it will, at least, last a good 10 years. According to statistics, on average, a car’s life is estimated to be more than 11 years. More often than not, it is said that the mileage of a car is the most important thing as it indicates the car’s health. But that’s not it. Various things like maintenance, technology are essential to it.
High-Mileage Cars are notoriously infamous for being high-maintenance. To an extent, it is true but there are many things about these cars that you might not be aware of. Let us help you with that.
- Advantages of Buying A High-Mileage Car
- Disadvantages of Buying A High-Mileage Car
- Tips Before Buying A High-Mileage Car
- Tips After Buying A High-Mileage Car
- Frequently Asked Questions
Advantages of Buying A High-Mileage Car
Even though people think that it is risky to buy high-mileage cars, let me clear all the doubts from your mind.
Yes, you heard it right. High-mileage cars are economical in nature. This is even more profitable to those who have a habit of changing cars. Why? Because even though high-mileage cars wear out quicker than the lower ones, it equals the graph by covering more miles in less time. And all car owners must be aware of the fact that time is valuable and value is money. So, they can change it up without losing much of the car’s value.
Better than Buying Used Car
We all know that the components and parts of a car wear out over time. But the most important thing to take away is that it doesn’t matter whether the car is high-mileage or not, it will exhaust anyways. So, it is better to buy a high-mileage car as compared to the others.
Cars that are Meant to Be Driven
There is no denying the fact that the purpose of having a car is to drive them around. That’s what high-mileage cars are for. Even though they are accused of wearing out quickly, the truth is that high-mileage cars last longer as they have a better lubrication system than your lower-mileage cars.
Disadvantages of Buying A High-Mileage Car
We have stated all the positives about buying high mileage cars but we cannot just ignore the negatives, right. So, let us discuss why you should think twice before buying these cars.
Alas! We do have to talk about this. As mentioned above, high-mileage cars are also high-performing cars. This type of car tends to pressure the parts and components more than the others. This results in the wearing and tearing of the parts that will need to be replaced in the future. Now wearing and tearing happen to all car components but in high-mileage cars, this process happens sooner than later.
Funding Issues if Buying Used
Buying a high-mileage car that is already used, can create a problem. Why? Because the miles covered by a car are considered seriously. So, there is a high probability that high-mileage used cars would have covered a lot of distance. This can create funding problems.
We have already discussed that high-mileage cars have maintenance issues. And due to that, it is a possibility that your car is out of order due to the lapse in regular service visits. If you’ve maintained your high-mileage car well, then there are slim chances of it facing a breakdown, but if not…. good luck!
Tips Before Buying A High-Mileage Car
- Knowing the risks beforehand can save us from a lot of problems. Similarly, to manage your expectations with high-mileage cars and what’s about to come, you should assess all the risks. This includes monetary risks along with other issues.
- Managing your finances is very crucial. Be it a brand new high-mileage car or a used one, it is important to get a reliable dealer with good offers.
- It is a known fact that high-mileage cars exhaust a lot of fuel and lubricants. But it also means that it will last longer than your average car.
- This is a very common but crucial aspect. Inspect the car before purchasing a used one. High-mileage cars have various issues when it comes to engine and fuel systems. Get a green signal from a professional then only it would be wise to move forward.
Tips After Buying A High-Mileage Car
- First and foremost thing that one should do after buying a high-mileage car is to keep a record of maintenance and servicing visits. There should be no delay or lapse in it as it can create other major problems.
- Even though they are high-performing cars, try not to put too much pressure and stress on them. Take it easy while driving them. It’s a fact that a car lives longer when they are taken care of and driven with ease.
- The engine of high-mileage cars works up more. So, it is important to keep the engine lubricated as it burns the oil quickly.
- If you’re a new car owner, it is important to remember that you require a car MOT. Do visit ActonServiceCentre.co.uk for more info. Every car running on the UK road has to be approved by the government regarding the safety standards. So, if you’re thinking of ignoring it, don’t.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it OK to buy a high mileage car?
Yes. High-mileage cars are equally or even better than the lower/normal ones. Buying a used high-mileage car is even more economical.
What is wrong with high mileage cars?
The only problem that you face after buying a high-mileage car is regular maintenance.
How do you take care of a car with high mileage?
Regular maintenance, lubricating the engine, driving with ease, tire maintenance, etc.
How can I make my high mileage car run like new?
It includes oil change, fluid change, cleaning of the fuel system, etc.
Hopefully, all the myths surrounding high-mileage cars have been cleared up. There are both pros and cons while making any decision and this is no different. Having a clear opinion is all that matters. Keep looking up this space for more.