If you love to cook in your RV, you may be surprised to learn your RV microwave can be just as effective at preparing meals as your stove. As with any cooking element, using a microwave properly is essential for safety and the best results. In this post, we will outline some essential steps you should take when using your microwave while on the road.
Five Important Tips for Using Your Microwave
Most RVs have a microwave installed in the kitchen. If your RV’s microwave is outdated and no longer performing correctly, check out the Best RV Microwave reviews so you can make the best purchase. Having the latest and most advanced type of microwave available will help to ensure you get the right results.
Safety is the number one priority when it comes to using a microwave. Without the proper safety measures, microwaves can be dangerous appliances. The following five tips are sure to help you use your microwave to effectively cook and warm a variety of foods.
1. Never use metal in your microwave unless it is a convection microwave. Convection microwaves work much like a mini oven and you can cook with metal pans.
2. You should never start your microwave and walk away. Food can sometimes boil over and lead to great messes. I always stand to the side of the microwave while it is doing its thing. I also keep a careful eye on it for bubble overs or splatters.
3. If you are using a convection microwave, make sure you use the rack that is included. If you put your food directly on the bottom of the microwave, air will not be able to circulate and your food will not cook properly. I had a brownie fiasco with my convection microwave and it was purely because I did not put the rack in.
4. Keeping your microwave clean will help you to avoid improper cooking. Believe it or not, that dried on meatloaf mess can affect how your brownies cook and taste.
5. It is crucial you hook your microwave up to the proper amperage. Using the wrong electric hookup can be dangerous and could lead to a fire.
Why Is an RV Microwave So Important?
Believe it or not, we seem to use our microwave more than we do our RV stove. We especially find it beneficial in the summer, when the oven can heat our RV and make us run the AC much more. The following are some of the reasons we simply cannot live without our microwave.
- It makes cooking a quick breakfast a breeze. Crispy bacon is entirely easy in a microwave.
- If you take kids along on the trip, you will need a microwave. Trust me on this.
- A microwave will make short work of cooking dinner. You can cook an entire dinner from scratch.
- In the heat of summer, a microwave will make an easy meal without heating up your RV kitchen and creating a big mess.
How Does a Microwave Work?
I am in no way a scientist, but microwaves are fascinating. If you have never learned about how microwaves work, make sure you check out this link. Here, you will learn how your microwave turns energy into heat and other amazing details about that little box that sits in your RV kitchen.
To ensure your microwave always works as it should and gives you plenty of years of service, make sure you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and practice safe usage. Never allow children to operate a microwave unless you are monitoring their usage.
If you love to cook and hope to avoid eating fast food while you are traveling in your RV, then you should consider purchasing the best microwave you can afford. A simple microwave will do just fine for most people, but you can up the ante with a beautiful new microwave convection oven.
My wife and I love our microwave convection oven because we can bake roasts, chickens, and the fabulous fish we catch from the lakes or ponds. If you want to learn more about our RVing lifestyle, feel free to visit us.