In the United States of America, over 57% of the population owns dogs. As a result, dog bites are not uncommon in the country. Various states have laws to deal with dog bites and their liability. You can seek the help of an Atlanta dog bite lawyer to work out possible remedies. Click here for more details.
As per dog bite laws in Georgia, you can get a remedy if the dog was unleashed at the time of the attack. Otherwise, you have to prove that the dog’s owners knew that the dog was dangerous.
- What do you need to know about dog bite claims?
- How can an attorney help you?
- How do lawyers collect proof?
- What to do in case of a dog bite?
- Why should you legally move against the dog owner?
- How much will the case cost?
- How to prevent a dog bite?
What do you need to know about dog bite claims?
Typically, after a dog has bitten you, the insurance company of the owner is going to investigate the whole matter. Legally, there are multiple defenses that can be used by the owner in their support. The following defenses will be used by the owner and their insurance company in case of any trial:
- Negligence from the side of the victim
With the help of an experienced dog bite attorney, you will get to investigate into the entire matter thoroughly and understand the circumstances under which the dog bit you. They will also check if the owner and the insurance company are bringing in valid defenses.
It is not necessary for you to file any lawsuit after you consult with your attorney. The attorney will be negotiating valid and favourable settlements. You do not need to move to the court in the majority of the cases. The owners and the insurance companies will be trying their best to either dismiss or justify the case at the amounts which are much lower than you deserve.
How can an attorney help you?
A lawyer can help collect evidence regarding records of dog bites by the same dog. They can also confirm whether the owner knew that the dog might be dangerous.
How do lawyers collect proof?
With the help of a subpoena, the dog’s veterinarian will have to submit the dog’s records.
The immediate neighbors of the dog owners can also help with information regarding the dog.
What to do in case of a dog bite?
Regardless of the severity of the injury, please get it checked by a medical professional. Sometimes, dog bites can cause severe consequences such as open fractures, nerve laceration, etc.
Why should you legally move against the dog owner?
In most cases, dog bites are painful, and you will have to deal with high medical expenses. Besides the medical bill, you will also have a loss of income, and physical and mental trauma. Thus, the law allows you to get compensation from the owner. If you are sure that you can get evidence against the dog’s owner, you have every right to demand compensation.
How much will the case cost?
The shortest and the simplest answer to this question is, it depends. You will find no two claims are similar and no two circumstances are each other’s repetitions. The entire situation based on which the incident happened is going to determine the worth of the case. But once the case is successfully completed, the compensation and claim amount will be depending on the losses that you have incurred and which have been verified. Other factors like the specific circumstances of the dog biting you and other additional elements will also determine the final worth of the case.
If you are working with experienced attorneys, they will be explaining to you all the factors, which will determine the cost of the compensation. They won’t let you deal with the complications yourself and will help you figure out the right solution. You will have detailed guidance throughout the procedure and receive the compensation you need and the one you deserve.
How to prevent a dog bite?
There are some basic dog safety skills and precautions you can learn to avoid getting dog bites. The first and foremost rule is to avoid direct eye contact with a ferocious dog. It is also better to avoid getting too close to a dog if you suspect it could bite. Similarly, do not try to run if a dog is approaching you.
If you have been bitten by a dog, here are things you should not do!
After the incident happens, many people commit certain similar mistakes, which makes the situation even more complicated. Here are the things that you should never do following a dog bite:
- Never downplay or ignore your injuries. There are multiple cases where the victim neglects the accident and the injuries they have suffered. They avoid accepting how bad the injuries are. Trying to stay out of the spotlight is something one should never do. If you do not seek the right treatments, you will be missing out on the opportunity to claim the compensation.
- There are multiple cases where the victim is not ready to seek medical attention. It is essential to get the treatments from proper medical facilities and not take charge to cure yourself at home. This will help you collect all the necessary medical proof.
- Do not wait too long before claiming the compensation. If you waste a lot of time, you will be unable to put forward strong evidence that you will need for claiming your compensation. Try taking pictures of the body parts where the dog has bitten you, and take pictures of your wound and of the dog as well. Also, try recording statements from the witnesses who have seen the incident taking place.
Dog bites are traumatic and you need medical help to rule out any infections even if the dog bite is minor.
There are so many law firms that offer an initial case evaluation for free in case of dog bite litigation. You can contact any law firm of your choice, preferably from your area. From there on, an experienced attorney can help you move forward with your case and get you the compensation you deserve.