Technological interventional has led to the transformation of different industries, and the education sector is no different. We are witnessing some great transformation in the conventional format. The education is no more centralized and is not restricted to physical premises. Technologies like AI are changing the way things operate, but the biggest breakthrough In this segment is brought forth by Blockchain technology.
The DLT technology or blockchain had started its journey in 2009 as the underlying technology for Bitcoin exchange, over a period of time, it transformed, and Blockchain now finds a multitude of used cades. In fact, it has become the mainstream technology which has poised different sectors. In this blog, we are going to unveil how Blockchain is making an impact in the education sector.
Key problems that Blockchain needs to address:
While the education sector is transforming and we are moving into the digital era. Still, we can surely not miss addressing the fact that this conventional platform is exposed to a number of problems. Some of the key problems that are harbouring the education system are:
- Poor recordkeeping
- Data threat
- Authenticity of information
- Copyright issue
- Automatic credit transfer.
How will Blockchain solve these problems?
Before heading to understand how Blockchain will solve these problems, let’s have an understanding of what Blockchain is. This is a distributed ledger technology that is not centralized. This is a decentralized technology that works on peer-to-peer interaction. Also, this technology doesn’t have a third-party intervention which makes Blockchain works faster and seamlessly. Some of the key features of Blockchain are :
- No third party intervention
- Peer-to-peer network
- Tracking and tracing of data
- Data encryption and cryptography
Some of the key disruptions that Blockchain has created in the education sector:
The use of Blockchain in the education sector is not new, in fact, in 2017, the University of Melbourne started using Blockchain to issue digital identity credentials allowing the students to share the verified copies of their qualifications with the employees and others.
There are new ways via which we are witnessing multiple use cases of Blockchain technology, and this is growing with time. However, the most prominent use of Blockchain remains in
One of the promising use of Blockchain technology will be seen in record keeping. Since the education sector has so much data to deal with, there is a need for a system or platform which can guarantee complete safety and security of the data and the credentials, with Blockchain, there will be a guarantee of the same.
The Gartner 2019 survey says that around 2% of higher education respondents have started using Blockchain technology, while another 18% are planning to implement the same in the times to come.
This growing number indicates that there will be a demand for Blockchain professionals who can help in the implementation of the same. Let’s elaborate on how Blockchain is going to change how the education sector operates.
- Record keeping- As established earlier Blockchain will play a key role in adding the recordkeeping. Since there is a plethora of information and data that needs to be stored, we are in need of a system that can ensure complete safety and security of data. With Blockchain, you will have access to a platform where every piece of information is encrypted cryptographically. This ensures that the data is infallible and information is free from any threat or data attack. Every information exchange is stored as blocks, and this data is encrypted cryptographically.
- Cost-effective system- We have already seen the widespread use of Blockchain across the different industrial segments, and the primary reason for its popularity is that it offers a cost-effective system. Though we have an AI-enabled system, and many of us are using digital platforms for education, with Blockchain, we will have a far more efficient system. Since the Blockchain platform enables the educationist to directly interact with the students, and vice-versa, the third-party platform requirement gets nullified, thus making the entire system more efficient. This will also save cost.
- Copyright and IP rights- Another popular use case of Blockchain in the education sector would be in ensuring copyright and IP rights. This is the most common issue that hounds the education sector. The threat of IP rights. But with Blockchain technology, we can surely overcome all this. Blockchain gives complete authority to the content creator. Moreover, the content creator can grant complete access to their research papers and other work. Also, it helps them get the right price for their work. So, Blockchain again comes as a rescue here for those who fear the copyright issue.
- Verified data– All the information present on the Blockchain platform is encrypted, which makes them secure. Companies while recruiting a candidate need access to verified data, when they will get access to all the information, it will become easier for them to get direct access to the credentials which is eventually going to save a lot of time for companies that go in the verification of data. Additionally, if universities and colleges need to store a large volume of data, they can do so by opting for the DLT platform. Not only does it give them enough space for storage, but it also assures them that data is secured. Moreover, the system is decentralized so you can get access to this system anytime and from anywhere.
This was all about the use cases of Blockchain in the education sector. This is not the only field where Blockchain finds use; there are several other sectors like finance, healthcare and others. If you too are planning to become a part of this leading technology, then you can check out blockchain-council.org where you will get complete information about the various Blockchain certification programs.
So, if you are all set, it’s time to follow this site and get acquainted with all the developments around Blockchain technology.