Undoubtedly, roulette is one of the most popular casino games. Many players have devised different strategies to win big since this fascinating game was invented in France in the 17th century.
While the most commonly accepted version of the game’s origin is that the wheel was created by Blaise Pascal, the French physicist and mathematician, there is also evidence that similar games were played even earlier in Europe. Games like “Even-Odd” and “Roly Poly” predate roulette and they also involved spinning a wheel and betting on its outcome.
Is Winning Roulette Based on Skills or Just Luck?
Many new players think that winning a game of roulette is all about luck. But experienced punters know that you can develop and use roulette skills to increase your chances of winning real money. Winning a game at a roulette table is not just about being lucky. Contrary to what many people believe, with a “straight head” and a solid strategy, you can leave the roulette table with a smile on your face. We have summarized the five most popular strategies for playing roulette and for those that want an in-depth look you can read more here.
1. The Martingale Strategy
With the Martingale strategy, you double your bets after you have a loss. You aim to recoup all your previous losses and eventually get a small profit. This means that, if you place your bets on just one color and you keep doubling them till you win, you will ultimately recover your losses. But this will only happen if you continue to double your losing bets.
Here are some useful tips for using the Martingale strategy:
- Bet with the smallest possible amount so you can keep doubling your stakes till you win.
- Avoid betting on zero, choose red or black, that’s 1-18 or 19-36.
- Don’t increase your bet after a win, bet the same amount.
- Keep the bet on the same color or number
- Keep on while you still have money left or until you’ve won enough to collect and leave.
2. The Reverse Martingale Strategy
As the name suggests, this is essentially the opposite of the aforementioned Martingale strategy. Rather than raise bets when you lose, you increase them when you win. If you lose, you reduce them. You can use this method to take advantage of hot streaks and minimize your losses at other times.
These tips will help you while implementing the reverse Martingale strategy:
- Begin with a small bet.
- Continue betting on the same spot.
- Don’t increase the bet if you lose.
- Immediately after you win, double your bet for the following round.
- If you win the next round, double your bet again.
- When you lose, reduce your bet by half.
- Continue playing till you lose all your money (allocated for roulette, of course) or you win enough to leave happily.
3. The D’Alembert Strategy
While the previous two strategies may seem too ambitious for some gamblers, the D’Alembert roulette strategy is a good alternative. This style of gambling involves increasing and decreasing bets after you lose or win. It is less risky than doubling your bets. So how do you use the D’Alembert strategy?
* Place a small starting bet on even/odd, red/black, 1-18, or 19-36.
* Raise your bet by one after you lose or reduce it by one after you win.
* Walk away from the wheel after you have had the same number of wins and losses.
4. The Fibonacci Strategy
If you studied mathematics or science at school, you may have heard about the Fibonacci series. Fibonacci was an influential Italian mathematician who lived in the 1200s. Essentially, using this sequence, you can determine the next number in the series by adding the two preceding ones. The Fibonacci series goes thus: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144, …
So how do you apply the Fibonacci method to win at the roulette table?
- Make a small bet on red/black, 1-18, 19-36.
- If you win, move two steps back on the sequence.
- If you lose, make a step ahead in the sequence
- * Keep playing till you have won enough money.
5. The James Bond Strategy
This strategy was invented by Ian Fleming and documented in one of his James Bond novels. Due to the rising popularity of the James Bond movies since the 60s, this strategy has also gained global popularity. A minor note, you will need to have at least $200 to play.
- Bet $10 on zero
- Bet $50 on 13-18
- Bet $140 on 19-36.
This method is for daring gamblers. The only time when you will win nothing is if the numbers 1-12 win. You can win $160, $150, or $320 if the ball lands on either zero, 13-18, or 19-36 respectively.
The above-mentioned steps and strategies for playing roulette will undoubtedly increase your chances of winning. However, what you need to bear in mind that like all true casino games, you will experience wins and losses, so play responsibly and with a clear plan as to how to approach the game, you can make sure to minimize your losses. Good luck!