You probably moved into a new home which is quite lovely, but as you step into the kitchen, it looks like something that was used during the ’90s. This means that you have to reface it to give it a more modern and appealing look. Instead of having to spend over $5,000 on getting new cabinets for your kitchen, there are ways you can reface it for way less than the amount that would have been used to replace the cabinets. The cost of replacing makes refacing the best option anyone can opt for. In this article, we will discuss how you can reface your kitchen.
Advantages Of Refacing Your Kitchen
Over the last couple of years, the refacing and replacing debate has been going on. With most people supporting the idea of refacing their kitchen cabinets. We will take a look at some of the main advantages of doing this. These advantages include but are definitely not limited to the following;
- Refacing happens to be a far cheaper option than replacing
- Refacing takes less time to complete than replacing. This means that when you choose to reface, you get to move back into your home and make use of your kitchen. It has been revealed that refacing takes about a week to complete while replacing could take about four to five weeks.
- It is less stressful.
- Unlike replacing, you can make use of your kitchen while it is being refaced
- It is an environmentally friendly option since you are not necessarily adding to the landfill.
The Refacing Options Available To You
Veneers happen to be the main item that would be used to reface your kitchen. Veneers come in different colors, meaning that you can choose which suits you best.
- Rigid thermal foil doors; these are doors that feature or are designed with a durable coating over the fiberboard. These doors are fine alternatives to the common laminate or wood doors.
- Plastic laminates; they come in various colors and sizes and are the same time moisture resistant, durable, as well as cheap. When you decide to reface your kitchen, you could decide to pick any of the contrasting and matching laminates for your drawer fronts and doors.
- Real wood veneers; they include certain special standards like oaks, maple, cherry, etc. You can choose from tons of stain colors. When it comes to refacing kitchens, it has been discovered that wood veneers happen to be the most expensive option.
What Is The Cost Of Refacing?
If you are to hire the service of a professional cabinet refacer, you would be charged about $1,000 to $3,000 for cabinets that are about 10 by 12 foot. If you decide to make use of wood veneer which is actually the most expensive option, you could be charged about $2,500 to about $6,000. If you are carrying out large projects, the cost could rise to about $7,000 to over $9,000. If you are to compare the cost of replacing, you would be charged about $4,000 to $6,000 for a typical stock cabinet.
For semi-custom cabinets, you would be charged about $8,000 to $10,000 while for the main custom-made cabinet you could be charged between $16,000 to over $20,000.
As mentioned earlier, the cost of refacing your kitchen is way less than having it replaced. You can decide to reface your kitchen cabinets even when they are sound and in good shape or condition. When your cabinets have been damaged by water, broken frames, and warping, it is important that you reface them immediately to prevent further damage.
How Refacing Is Done
When you decide to reface your kitchen, you would have to hire the services of a professional refacer to help you do the job. The first thing a professional refacer would do is to visit your home to measure your entire cabinet as well as find out the exact amount of veneer that would do the job. He would also have to take the measurement of doorknobs, drawer handles, and also find out how much the entire piece of equipment to be used would cost.
After all the needed materials have been provided, the professional would have to carefully remove the old cabinet drawer fronts and doors, they would have to prepare the cabinet surface by washing it with a good degreaser. He also has to repair any flaw no matter how little. This is done to ensure that the veneer fits perfectly. He would have to apply the veneer, then would have to mount the doors, the drawer fronts as well as the hardware. As mentioned earlier, the entire refacing process could take about 4 to 7 days.
How You Can Reface Your Kitchen
- The first step to take when refacing your kitchen is to have all the materials ready. You have to carefully look at the cabinets, identifying their various sizes to ensure that you get the perfect replacement. Endeavor to measure the cabinet. You also have to trim the veneer with a sharp knife.
- The next step would have to remove the cabinet doors that would have to be replaced. To remove grease, you are advised to clean with TSP. Allow to dry for a period of time, then apply glue to the exposed end of the cabinet.
- You have to measure the stiles. Cut the veneer into sizes that are a little bit wider than the veneer.
- Simply press down the veneer to the stiles. After pressing down the veneer to the stile, you are advised to make use of wood to firmly press down the veneer to the full strip of the stile. As an added tip, you could decide to cover the interior of the cabinet edges with veneer strips. This would produce a more appealing look.
While we have discussed how you can reface your kitchen in North Palm Beach, it is important that you hire the services of a professional if it gets complicated.