A level 2 electrician is a special as well as a highly trained electrician. They are trained in many different ways such as training them how to connect or disconnect various houses and its appliances to or from the electric grid, both underground and overhead. Furthermore, they are also able to solve all the problems that are mentioned in the electrical defect notice. Most of the level 2 electricians such as calibreconnect are authorized service providers which means that they are accredited by the government or the company. They provide a lot of different kinds of services including but not limited to repairing damaged consumer main and damaged cables, installing new cables, offering replacements or electrical upgrades and even a power supply for some times. However, many people still do not know how many services a level 2 electrician can provide. Therefore, here is a list of said services:
- 1. Meter installation
- 2. Connection and disconnection
- 3. Overhead and underground power supply
- 4. Upgrade power
- 5. Other services and responsibilities
- Skill required to be a level 2 electrician.
- Minimum job requirements for a level 2 electrician
- Condition of employment for level 2 electrician
- Distinguishing characteristics
- Working conditions and effort
1. Meter installation
Installing an electrical meter is quite essential in order to keep track of the power usage and the bill that comes with it. Hiring a licensed level 2 electrician can help you install an electrical meter.
2. Connection and disconnection
The government or the distributors of electricity can cut your power supply due to many reasons. For instance, in case you have not paid the bill so they disconnected your power supply or for safety reasons as well, they can disconnect your power supply. In times like these, the electricity distributors will send a level 2 electrician to disconnect the power supply because only level 2 electricians have the skills to do so and no normal electrician can do this. Then, after the problem is solved or after the bill is paid, they will again send a level 2 electrician and help reconnect the power supply.
3. Overhead and underground power supply
There are two ways to transmit electricity. One is overhead supply and other one is underground supply. Both of these power supplies have their own unique characteristics, different advantages and costs. Just like the name suggests, overhead power supply involves the use of electrical cables that pass over our heads with the help of electric poles. On the other hand, underground power supply means that electrical cable pass underground. Level 2 electricians are trained in such a way that they can install both the power supply, whatever the client wants. Furthermore, they can also change faulty electric cables and poles.
4. Upgrade power
There are ways of transmitting electricity to the public. One is by using a single phase while the other one is by using a 3 phase. A single phase has two different wires. One is the live and the other one is neutral. They are mainly used for domestic use. On the other hand, a 3 phase a has 3 different active wires and one neutral wire, and is mainly used in industries. In case, if you want to change the power supply from one phase to three phase, you will need to hire a level 2 electrician. They will do the job quite easily.
5. Other services and responsibilities
A level 2 electrician can provide various services other than the ones that are mentioned above. They can troubleshoot electric controls, logic controls and motor control centers as well as fix them. They can also install electrical circuits, testing instruments, appliances and equipment, and repair and replace them as well. Furthermore, they can also install electrical equipment, different types of motors, circuit breakers, transformers, generators and lighting fixtures. Not only do they install them but also maintain and monitor them as well. Moreover, they are trained in interpreting blueprints and other various instructions.
Skill required to be a level 2 electrician.
- They should have the ability to repair and diagnose electrical controls, logic controllers and industrial control centers.
- They should have the ability to install and repair electrical circuits, appliances and equipment using the appropriate tools.
- They should have the ability to install transformers, circuit breakers, generators, lighting fixtures, motors and other wielding equipment.
- They should have the ability to install grounding leads as well as the ability to use tools that are needed for this job.
- They should have the ability to identify defects in electrical equipment such as wiring, motors and switches.
- Last but not the least, they also should have the necessary knowledge about electrical systems.
Minimum job requirements for a level 2 electrician
- A diploma is from high school is necessary or a GED is necessary. Furthermore, 4 years of experience as a normal electrician is required and an electrician’s license is required.
- A degree from an accredited institution. The institute should be above the average education requirement.
Condition of employment for level 2 electrician
- One must have a driver’s license.
- One must pass a criminal background check before a company employs them.
- First aid certification and CPR is required within the first six months of employment.
- After getting employed, one must submit their medical history check and should pass the physical examination.
- A level 2 electrician should be able to diagnose and repair electrical controls.
- A level 2 electrician should be able to read commercial electrical blueprints.
- A level 2 electrician should be able to plan and install various new electrical services.
- A level 2 electrician should be able to perform inspections on distribution controls.
- A level 2 electrician should have a license that allows them legally to work high voltage jobs.
Working conditions and effort
- The job of a level 2 electrician involves constant exposure to harsh conditions such as smoke, fumes, dust, dirt, loud noises, biohazardous materials, toxic chemicals and extreme temperatures.
- A lot of physical activity. This job involves a lot of heavy physical work such as pushing, heavy lifting and pulling of objects. As a matter of fact, more than 70 percent of this work is physical work.