You might have just noticed that the leftovers your dog snagged had onions. With onions being toxic for dogs to consume, worried pet parents in this situation would be anxiously waiting for a sign of any sickness.
Onion poisoning can be quite severe and should never be taken lightly. No matter the quantity of onions your dog has consumed, you should always carefully monitor your pup’s condition.
Below, you can find out how long it should take for your dog to get sick after eating onions, along with more information about onion poisoning.
How Long It Takes To Get Sick
According to the panel of experts at Spot & Tango, the onset of onion poisoning will vary depending on a few different factors. If your dog consumed minimal amounts of onion, you could see symptoms a few days later. The onset of the sickness is generally delayed by a few days.
However, if your pup ate a large portion of onions, it could become sick very quickly. Symptoms could arise as soon as the following day. They could also be more severe.
If your dog has been ingesting onions over an extended period, it may gradually get sick, worsening over time. They could also become severely ill quite suddenly if they have been eating onions for a while because the toxins can build up within your dog’s body. The onion poisoning will begin to go away once your pup is no longer eating onions.
Signs of Onion Poisoning
There are a variety of symptoms that range in severity to look out for if you suspect that your pup has onion, chive or leak poisoning. VCA Animal Hospitals explains that the main issue that onion poisoning creates in dogs is anemia. It can also cause vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal issues for your pup.
Initial signs of onion poisoning would be excessive salivating and irritation to the dog’s mouth. These symptoms can continue throughout the illness.
Your dog may become lethargic or show signs that they are feeling weak. They may experience abdominal pain, which can be hard to notice in dogs.
Anemia can lead to more severe symptoms, as well. If your dog is anemic, it will have a low oxygen level, which will result in excessive panting. Your pup’s heart rate will increase.
Lack of proper blood flow can cause your dog’s gums to turn pale or blue in color. If the anemia is quite severe, your dog may collapse or faint.
How to Properly Diagnose Onion Poisoning
Obviously, if you caught your dog gorging on onions, you probably can safely confirm that any following symptoms are related to onion poisoning. With that being said, you may not have noticed that your dog got into something they were not supposed to.
If you suspect your dog has gotten into some onions or a food product that contains onions, just smell their breath and check their mouth. Oftentimes, you will be able to smell that familiar onion scent lingering in and around their mouth.
If you could not smell your pup’s breath or catch them in the act, but you are fairly sure their symptoms are related to onion poisoning, you can take your dog to your vet to have them properly diagnosed.
The vet can perform a few different tests to see if your pup is indeed suffering from onion poisoning. A blood test will show hemolytic anemia, especially if your dog is already experiencing lethargy and weakness.
A blood smear can be used to identify Heinz body anemia before a notable drop in red blood cells occurs within your dog’s body. The vet may also conduct a urinalysis, which will show that the urine has high hemoglobin levels if your pup has onion poisoning.
Treating Onion Poisoning
The American Kennel Club says that while the first thing you should always do is call your vet when your pup is sick, there are steps you can take at home to minimize the severity of the onion poisoning. If you caught your dog rummaging through some onions in your kitchen, clean up any remaining mess and keep all onions and onion food products out of your pup’s reach.
If you catch your dog consuming onions, you can try to induce vomiting to allow them to get rid of as much onion from their stomach as possible. You can also give your pup activated charcoal to reduce the number of harmful compounds absorbed through the intestines during digestion.
If you cannot do these things or you notice the signs of onion poisoning much later, you will want to monitor your pup’s symptoms. Keeping your pup hydrated and comfortable is crucial to their recovery. Also, ensure that any food you are feeding them is low in oxidants to allow them to recover faster.
If your dog’s symptoms become more severe or your vet seems concerned over the phone, bring your dog in to be seen and treated immediately.
Ways To Avoid Onion Poisoning in Dogs
The simple answer is to keep onions away from your four-legged companion. Any fresh onions or onion products should be kept out of your pup’s reach. Seasonings like onion powder and spice blends that contain dried onions should be kept in a cabinet that your dog cannot get into.
Foods containing onions should not be given to your dog. If there are scraps, they should be safely disposed of so that your dog cannot eat them.
If you want to share a food scrap with your pup, ensure that it was not made with onions or onion products. Always read the ingredient list before allowing your dog to snack on something.
Onion poisoning is no joke and can cause serious harm to your pup. Onions should never be given to your pup under any circumstance.
With proper monitoring and care, your dog should recover successfully. Contact your vet if you are worried that your dog may have onion poisoning.