Ever wondered why dildos seem so popular in the sex toy world? Well, there are a few reasons!
Dildos have been around for hundreds of years, and have always been a favorite amongst sex toy users, but due to the versatility, and the sheer range of dildos available nowadays, more and more people are investing in them than ever before. If you have a fetish, there is more than likely a dildo for it! What’s not to like?
We’ve compiled some of the reasons why dildos are preferred over other sex toys, so you can see for yourself why they’re so popular!
(If you’re new to dildos, or just want some help choosing one, why not read some of these in depth reviews, to help you decide which dildo is best for you?)
What is a dildo?
A dildo is a shaft which can be made from different materials (such as silicone, PVC, metal, glass), and is specifically crafted to sexually stimulate the user; a dildo can be designed to resemble a real penis, or it can be designed to look completely different, for example, some dildos are made to look neutral, while some have been beautifully, and carefully crafted to look like an alien’s tentacle!
Some dildos are crafted to stimulate certain parts of the genitals, such as G-spot dildos, while others focus on pleasuring you analy; there are thousands of dildos out there, which means there is something to suit everyone’s desires.
Advantages of dildos vs other sex toys
Dildos are versatile toys with many uses when it comes to sex; they are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors, textures, appearances, and materials, for something to suit everyone!
You might be seeking a dildo that can help you live out a particular fantasy, or you might just want a standard realistic dong- either way, there will be a dildo there for you.
Compared to other sex toys, they are widely loved as they do not pose any restrictions such as losing charge or taking control away from the user; some people prefer the fact that dildos do not vibrate, inflate, thrust etc. as it gives a more realistic feeling, and allows you to be fully in control of your pleasure.
Dildos can also be a more affordable option than most sex toys and offer a larger variety of materials to suit your wants/needs.
Oh, and they’re waterproof and completely safe to use in the shower/bath!
Types of dildos and their uses
With so many different types of dildos available, it can be hard to know which to try, or which is right for you; here are a few of the most common types of dildos, but with a little research, you’ll see there are even more types!
– These types of dildos are most commonly sought by people who find the phallic shape attractive; lots of realistic style dildos come with realistic balls attached, which can stimulate the clitoris depending on how it is used.
– A realistic dildo could be made using silicone to give it a more rigid feeling, or it could be made using a material which provides the realistic feel of a real penis; whatever they are made from, realistic dildos are usually detailed with veins, bulbous heads, and skin colors (i.e a black dildo) to give the utmost realism.
– Realistic dildos are great for those who like real penises, but don’t have access to one at the time, or they can be great for introducing realistic double penetration into partner play, without any jealousy.
Double ended dildo
– A double ended dildo is a dildo with a bulbed head on each end; they can be made extremely flexible for those who like double penetration, or they can be made more rigid for precise stimulation.
– A double ended dildo is great for vagina/vagina relationships, as you can each ride an end of the dildo.
Neutral shaft dildo
– A neutral design dildo is great for those who are not attracted to the look of a penis and are more focused on the feeling of being filled/internal stimulation.
– These types of dildos come in many different colors and shapes.
Pleasure targeted dildo
– These types of dildos are usually curved to target G/P-spots.
– There are many dildos that fit into this category, and the variety is increasing constantly; fantasy dildos can range from alien tentacle dildos to a whole human hand dildo.
– An anal dildo will have a flared base for comfort and safety, but it will also be designed specifically for anal pleasure.
– Though they might sound intimidating at first, these materials are great for sensory play, and those looking for perfect rigidity; a glass dildo, will be made from borosilicate glass, and a good metal dildo will be made from stainless steel, which means they can withstand harsh temperatures and boiling to clean.
– These dildos are great for those who enjoy riding or are looking to brush up on their riding skills!
– They can also be perfect for BDSM play, for example, a chin dildo, or a dildo gag.
– Specifically designed for use with a strap-on, and usually with a flared base for sturdiness.
Dildos are not just for one group of people. Whether you are in a relationship or single does not matter. Just as your gender does not matter. Whether you are a man or woman, there is no restriction on who can use dildos. If you want to try dildos, there are no ‘rules’ or social norms that prohibits you from doing so. For some people, it can be shameful to use sex toys. Therefore, if you make sure that you are comfortable with your choice, then there is nothing holding you back from trying a dildo.
If you are in a relationship, you would do best if you talk to your partner about using a dildo, either solo or involving one in your sexlife. Open-minded and respectful communication is key in many areas in life, including the bedroom.