Asking your kids to accompany you in the kitchen while you prepare a simple meal is a great way to get you bonding and to spend some quality time with your children. A relaxed environment is ideal for them to open up and to draw closer to you.
But, of course, some meals are simply too tricky for your children to give you a helping hand with. Or if you are short for time and need to get dinner on the table in a matter of moments, then it may not always be convenient for your children to be in the kitchen, especially if they are younger. The hot oven may also be a concern for you depending on the age of your children, or you may be worried about them getting their hands on sharp cooking utensils and hurting themselves.
So what can you do to encourage your little one’s interest in being in the kitchen and spend a good time chatting and having fun while preparing something simple and tasty to eat? If you are looking for a great set of recipes that will encourage your children to be more confident in the kitchen, then I am sure you will love the following list of toaster oven meals that are perfect for kids. They are so simple, that once shown how, your kids will be able to prepare some of these meals on their own, giving them a little more independence and helping to take some of the weight off of your shoulders.
Sound good? Then stay tuned, as, during this article, we will be discussing all of the best toaster oven meals that are fantastic for you to start practicing with your children today!
Why Buy A Toaster Oven
Before we jump straight in, let’s consider some of the reasons why you should grab hold of a toaster oven like the one on this site. If you have never purchased one, you may feel slightly hesitant. But let us reassure you, that only good things await from purchasing a toaster oven!
- Convenience. A toaster oven is super convenient as it can heat meals quickly. Are you working with a slightly smaller kitchen countertop space? Not to worry, as most toaster ovens are not large, taking up minimal space on your kitchen work surface.
- Versatile. A toaster oven is also extremely versatile, as it can help you to cook a variety of meals in a short amount of time. You can use a toaster oven to make the crunchiest and cheesiest toastie, a filled toasted baguette, double chocolate chunk cookies, bread or even mini pizza rolls. There is no end to the number of recipes that can be completed with a toaster oven – make sure you look out for some of our favorite, kid-friendly options that will be mentioned in this article!
- Inexpensive. Another wonderful factor about toaster ovens is how inexpensive they are. There has never been a more cost effective way of getting your children into cooking and giving them a little extra confidence in the kitchen.
Mini Muffin Pizzas
Who doesn’t love pizza night? If your kids like getting stuck in with cooking then they will no doubt love this mini pizza muffin recipe! It is simple to prepare and will be ready after just 5 minutes of baking. Take a look at the recipe below!
Ingredients – (makes two mini pizzas!)
- 2 handfuls of grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 English muffin (halved)
- 6 tsp of tomato puree
- 1 slice of ham (cut into cubes)
- 2 tbsp of sweetcorn
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay the muffins sliced sides up and smother each half with 3 tbsp of tomato puree.
- (Optional: Spread the sweetcorn and ham cubes across the puree covered English muffin halves).
- Sprinkle the Cheddar cheese evenly across the mini pizzas.
- Place the mini pizzas into the preheated toaster oven and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown on top.
- Remove and allow to cool for 2 minutes before serving.
Grilled Cheese Melts
Now here is one that everyone loves – grilled cheese melts. There is nothing better than combining the delicious taste of toasted bread with the awesomeness of melted cheese. Now, to really shake this recipe up, try adding the cheese of your choice – (red Leicester and brie are nice varieties for kids and adults alike!)
You could also try this recipe with pretty much any sandwich bread. It’s simple to make the best grilled cheese melt!
Ready to give the grilled cheese melts a whirl? Then have a look at the following recipe!
Ingredients – (makes two grilled cheeses!)
- 2 slices of wholemeal sandwich bread
- 4 handfuls of grated cheese (cheddar, brie, red Leicester or whatever you fancy)
- 2 tsp of unsalted butter
- Ketchup, Worchester sauce
- Preheat the toaster oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay your sandwich bread flat on the work surface.
- Butter the bread (optional).
- Sprinkle the bread with two handfuls of cheese on each slice.
- Place the bread into the toaster oven for five minutes or until the cheese turns golden brown on top.
- Remove the bread from the toaster oven and drizzle with ketchup or Worchester sauce (optional).
Are you ready for that campfire taste at home? Then your kids will love putting this delicious s’mores recipe together! There is no better way to get them prepped and ready for scouts!
Ingredients – (makes 1 s’more!)
- 2 graham crackers (medium size)
- 1 extra plump marshmallow
- 1 large cube of milk chocolate
- Preheat the toaster oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay one graham cracker on your kitchen countertop.
- Balance the marshmallow and then the cube of chocolate onto the cracker.
- Place the s’more into the toaster oven and toast until the marshmallow is a little melted and soft and the chocolate has begun to melt.
- Top the s’more with the other graham cracker and squish it with your fingers to help it all stick together.