How can you be sure that your home improvements will increase the value of your property? Whether you want to sell your house sometime in the future or merely want an upgrade, there are various ways to do home remodelling. However, not all renovations will equally boost your property’s value.
For example, transforming your bathroom into a spa sounds appealing. However, the cost won’t justify itself in profit when you want to sell your house. Alternatively, replacing the gutter or painting the house in new colours will likely increase the home’s value – although both don’t sound as luxurious as the spa.
So, if you decide to renovate a part of your home, just know it does not necessarily mean your house will increase in value. Instead of drowning in a sea of dreams and home improvement ideas, below are top renovation ideas for your house we have prepared for you, analyzing the information here, experts in home renovation. All the insights and tips are aimed to increase the value of your property and bring additional comfort and peace of mind.
1. Window replacement
Replacing your windows is probably the first and the most important renovation you can do to increase the value of your home. However, the extent and percentage of increase might depend on the type of windows and their style. If your housing market is favourable, window replacement will always yield value. But here are some tips on how to make it a wise investment.
Choose the right window style
Windows play a significant role in improving a home’s appeal. Although there are different window types, generally upgrading to a beautiful and stylish window that matches your home’s style will attract prospective buyers. Some popular window styles include:
- Single-hung windows: This is a common window type. It features a bottom window sash that can open in an up and down motion.
- Double-hung windows: Double-hung windows are similar to single-hung windows. However, the top and bottom window sash are operable. As a result, it is easier to clean and allows better airflow.
- Awning windows: Awning windows open when you push them outwards from the bottom. It is also perfect for rainy days as it doesn’t allow water into the home even if you open it for air circulation.
- Bay windows: bay windows offer a clear view of your outside environment. It consists of one large middle picture window and two angled side windows.
- Casement windows: The most traditional window you will find at any Kelowna house. It operates in a way doors do and is very comfortable.
- Sliding windows: Modern style that runs along the track and features a huge glass area.
Even though there are many window styles to pick from, the key point here is that they match your house exterior and are energy efficient.
Go with the most energy-efficient windows
The energy-efficient windows are designed to conserve energy without sacrificing the homeowner’s comfort. They help to cut down on energy bills and increase the overall thermal performance of your property.
When shopping for these units, be sure your windows feature:
- Weatherstrips to protect against harsh weather conditions
- Triple-pane or double-pane glass with warm-edge spacer for more protection
- Light and durable vinyl frames provide insulation from outside temperatures
- A low emissivity glass coating that reduces UV rays by reflecting the heat through the window without affecting the light entering the room
- Energy Star label
2. Entry door replacement
If the first impression matters the most, then your entry door can significantly affect the value of your home. Door replacement is a crucial point for many potential buyers who are interested in buying a new house. New, quality entry doors will:
Add style and colour
A coloured entry door enhances the curb appeal. However, some shades are better than others. For example:
- The black colour is sleek and gives your home a modern look
- White is versatile and doesn’t draw much attention. It also goes with different classical and contemporary house settings.
- Yellow appears cheerful, and red is eye-catching.
- Navy blue is traditional and sleek.
Choose the painting that matches your exterior and brings a fresh touch to your property.
Improve home safety and security
With a new door, you can avoid outside noises, sagging issues, and problems with springs, gears, and cables. It also improves energy efficiency.
3. Do kitchen remodelling
Potential buyers adore modern and well-designed kitchens. So, it makes sense to improve the current space for something more attractive. A few suggestions:
- Change the countertops and cabinet
- Add a fresh coat of paint
- Improve the lightning
- Increase the storage space
- Improve the faucets
- Add an island
- Install tile, wood, or laminate flooring
- Add sitting or dining space
4. Bathroom remodelling
The next top place to pay attention to is a bathroom. If you only have one bathroom, consider adding another one to your home as a home with multiple bathrooms attracts buyers. It is even better if you can make the bathroom ensuite to the master bedroom. Depending on your budget,
- Paint, retile, and reflooring the bathroom
- Add storage spaces
- Install new tubs, showers, sinks, and toilets
- Upgrade lighting
- Add a mirror or put it in a vanity
5. Repaint the exterior
The next important renovation to consider is repainting your exterior. Painting is by far one of the least expensive investments on the list but offers a cost-effective way to increase your home’s value. This is because the right kind of paint can make a room appear bigger, brighter, warmer, cozier, and generally more attractive. The painting also brightens up the walls, seals and protects them from dirt and dust, and locks in odours. A few tips:
- Do not use more than three colours for your home exterior
- Prioritize warm neutral colours for the interior
- Use eggshell or flat sheen on broad walls as it covers unevenness and nail pops. Also, use it for bathrooms because of moisture.
- Use semi-glosses on doors and the trim to make it easier to clean handprints and dust
- Use semi-gloss and satin coats for stain resistance and durability.
Considering doing some renovation to beautify your house in Kelowna is a great decision. Not only do you get more comfort, but you will also find your curb appeal and house value increased. If you plan to sell the property in the future, the top house renovations from the list will get you some extra bucks for sure.