Located in a place where the East meets the West and where tradition is shaped by religion and history, there is a country called Turkey. Only 3% of the territory is placed in Europe, and the other 97% of it is in Asia, with stunning natural beauties, white beaches, the ancient legacy of the people who shaped their age, history, and religion and that can be visible on every corner of the country.
Istanbul is the jewel of Turkey, with its magnificent architecture and the Bosphorus, which is a natural border between the continents. The country is enriched with history and has kept its specific culture no matter what the circumstances were. We have prepared a few tips for you before going on this fantastic journey into the ex-Ottoman empire.
Before you go on your vacation, you may consider learning a bit of the Turkish language. This may be of great use when you are there because people outside Istanbul are not great with English. Sometimes you may find that a kind word opens a lot of doors for you, people tend to give you more attention, hospitality with coffee, and tea when they acknowledge you made an effort in learning just a few words of their language.
We suggest checking and apply for Visa if you plan to visit Turkey shortly. There is the fact that Turkish customs require nationals from many countries to apply for Visa and above all your passport must have six months validity from the date of entry into the country. Better to be prepared then to get into unnecessary trouble.
Consider taking Insurance in case of a medical emergency. The regulations of healthcare services and treatment options available for tourists in the country should be explored for your security, and the Medical Travel Insurance can provide you with just what you require. The experts have estimated that the tourists visiting Turkey in 2019 will pass the 50 million mark, and health-related issues are therefore expected. For more information on the topic, you can read more here.
Educating yourself about the history of the country will open your eyes to new adventures you could have only dreamt of. You can try out some traditional clothes in order to blend in, but the people are polite they will accept you no matter how you are dressed. However, bear that in mind when you are visiting religious places and mosques.
We insist on experiencing life beyond the big cities, so if you have a chance to travel to several places, make sure to do so. The Greek influence is evident in Izmir, Istanbul is a story of its own, Hatay in the Southeast of Turkey on the border with Syria has its unique spirit, but you will want to see the countryside with traditional food made and meet people there. Note to always carry cash in different currencies like Turkish Lira, Euro, CHF, and US dollar. Make sure to haggle over prices, as this is a popular sales method in Turkey. However, that is not possible in every store. Don’t drink tap water, and always have a bottle of water around you.
Are you ready to visit Turkey?