In Montana there was a cat found in a snow bank. Cat’s fur was matter with ice and she was unresponsive, but veterinarians didn’t give up on her.
The Executive Director of the Animal Clinic of Kalispell, Andrea Dutter, said:
„When we saw Fluffy, I would have to say that our initial thoughts were that of any other patient in distress. All hands on deck and let’s thaw this sweet baby girl out! In moments like this, you have to take it one minute at a time.“
Cat’s normal temperature is somewhere around 101 degrees, but Fluffy’s temperature was so low that it didn’t even register on a thermometer.
„Fluffy had a heartbeat the whole time. She never was pronounced dead – just REALLY cold, nearly frozen. We began thawing her out right away with different methods, starting with warm water running over her to melt the snow and ice. Then we used warm towels from the dryer that we rotated out, we used hair dryers, heating pads, and then when her temp was up enough we were able to get a catheter in her to start IV fluids.“
Veterinarians were using warm water and blankets for two hours. Then they moved Fluffy to the emergency room and eventually her temperature began to rise.
„We are never given any guarantee that any method of medical attention will be successful (no matter what species you are). In Fluffy’s case, she is fortunate to be young (3 years old) and healthy. She had a will to survive and she has proven that to us, and the world“, Dutter added.
Fluffy’s owners did a right thing bringing her to the doctors. Thanks to their and doctors’ care Fluffy recovered to the fullest.
Dutter explained that it is very important for pet owners to seek medical attention:
„We truly hope that Fluffy’s story can help other pet owners be aware of ways to help their indoor and outdoor pets stay safe and the importance of seeking medical attention right away vs attempting to treat their pets on their own. Our doctors and staff didn’t do anything different than any other veterinarian and team would do. We (and Fluffy!) are grateful for Fluffy’s owners for acting quickly in a scary situation.“