– Farxiga is a prescription medication that contains dapagliflozin. This medicine is used to improve blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes. It comes as a tablet that is ingested orally. Farxiga belongs to a class of medications called sodium glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitors.
– In clinical trials, Farxiga decreased fasting blood sugar levels and hemoglobin after 24 weeks of treatment.
– This medicine can be used by itself or along with other diabetes medications.
– Currently, Farxiga is only available as a brand-name medicine. Dapagliflozin, which is the main ingredient of Farxiga, isn’t available in generic form.
~ The side effects of taking Farxiga ~
– Like any medication, the side effects that Farxiga can cause are mild or serious.
– This list includes some of the key side effects that might occur if Farxiga is taken.
– The most common side effects of Farxiga:
- Vaginal yeast infections
- Respiratory infections (such as the common cold or flu)
- Urinary tract infection
- Genital infection in men
- Back pain
– Some of these side effects may go away in a matter of days or a couple of weeks, however, if they do not, you should consult your doctor or pharmacist.
– The more serious side effects of this medication aren’t common, but they might occur. Some of them might be:
- Dehydration and low blood pressure – symptoms may include dizziness, feeling faint, and weakness.
- Ketoacidosis – in this case, the ketones in your blood and urine are increased. Symptoms might occur in the form of nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, and trouble breathing.
- Kidney damage – the symptoms may include reduced urination, swelling in the legs or ankles, and confusion.
- Serious urinary tract infection – the symptoms might include a burning sensation while urinating, the need to urinate more often, and blood in the urine.
- Low blood sugar – the symptoms of hypoglycemia might be drowsiness, confusion, headache, weakness, sweating, and a fast heartbeat.
- Severe allergic reaction – the symptoms of being allergic to this medication might include a rash and itchy skin, flushing, swelling, and trouble breathing.
– Some might say there is a benefit to this medication as well. In clinical trials, people who took Farxiga lost up to 4 kilograms over 24 weeks of treatment. Take note that Farxiga should only be used according to your doctor’s prescription, you shouldn’t use it without the doctor’s guidance.
~ The form and dosage of Farxiga ~
– Farxiga only comes as a tablet you take orally. It is available in two strengths, 5 milligrams, and 10 milligrams.
– The typical and usual starting dosage is 5 milligrams once a day, usually taken in the morning. If the 5-milligram dosage does not lower your blood sugar levels, your doctor will increase the dosage to 10 milligrams a day, which is also the maximum dosage that can be taken.
– In case of forgetting to take a dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, if you forgot to take the drug and it is almost time to take your next dosage, only take the one dose. Do not try to catch up by taking two doses at once, which may cause dangerous and life-threatening side effects.
– Farxiga is used for a long term for treating type 2 diabetes, and it can be taken with or without food in the mornings.
– One thing to keep in mind is that you need to avoid drinking too much alcohol while taking this medicine. Alcohol is known to change the blood sugar levels, which increases the risk of having low blood sugar.
– Take note that taking too much of Farxiga can increase the risk of serious side effects, as well a possibility of an overdose. Possible symptoms of an overdose might include low blood sugar, nausea, vomiting, and kidney damage. If you think you have taken too much of this medication, call your doctor or an ambulance if there are signs of an overdose.
~ Conclusion ~
– Make sure that Farxiga is stored at room temperature in its original container. If you have unused medication that has gone past its expiration date, make sure that you talk to your pharmacist about whether you might still be able to use it.