When you like someone, and you think they might like you too, but you’re not sure, it’s not always best to put your hand over your heart and tell them how you feel.
In fact, it rarely ever is.
But there are ways to drop hints and open the door for them, so that if they are interested, they’re more likely to start showing it. Here are 50.
1. Touch your face and hair when you’re talking to them.
2. Touch them, casually, on the arm or knee when you’re talking to them.
4. Touch their arm or knee when you laugh at their jokes.
5. Notice when their glass is empty, and always offer to fill it up or get them another.
6. Make eye contact from across the room at parties; smile.
7. If you get an inside joke going between just the two of you, bring it up as much as possible. Never let it die.
8. Say their name when you’re talking to them. (It’s true! People thrill at the sound of their own name — especially when uttered by someone they’re interested in.)
9. Find a common enemy: another party guest, an annoying guy at the bar, a broken jukebox, the lack of pizza joints in this part of town. It’s you two against the world.
10. If they mention an ex, or a date gone bad, tell them that they’re too good for that person, anyway.
11. Give them a ridiculously huge tip. (This only works if they’re your waiter, bartender or barista. Obviously.)
12. Email them because you just saw something and it “made me think of you.”
13. Treat them to something sometime.
14. Make up a nickname for them. Be the only one who calls them that.
15. Invent any excuse for them to come over — a new movie, a sports game, a dinner party, a home repair project you really need help with.
16. Be genuinely delighted every time you see them — make no effort to hide it.
17. Loan them a book that you “just thought they would like.”
18. Offer to hold their purse/bag/coat/cup.
19. MIX TAPE! (No one makes a mix tape/cd for you unless they like you.)
20. Make sure to get pictures of the two of you when you’re out together.
21. Handwrite a note on your business card when you give it to them. i.e. “Really good to meet you.”
22. Remember what their drink is without having to ask. Order it for them.
23. Show up to their art opening/soccer game/open mic night/thing.
24. Don’t leave without saying goodbye.
25. That shirt/perfume/ring/pair of shoes they once mentioned they liked? Wear it. A lot.
26. Remember what you talked about the last time you saw each other, and ask them how things turned out the next time you see each other.
27. If they take your hand, squeeze it or run your thumb over their knuckles
28. Text them. Not just to make plans, but just because.
29. Dress up a little when you know you’re going to see them.
30. Bring up something little that you remember they once said to you.
31. Offer to drive them to the airport.
32. Just talk to them. About anything. Whenever you get the chance.
33. Check out that TV show/movie/band/restaurant they mentioned. Tell them what you thought of it.
34. Compliment them on something you think other people might notice about them.
35. Pass them a note during class/a meeting/at a crowded bar.
36. Find whatever excuse you possibly can for the two of you to end up at a karaoke bar. Insist on singing a duet.
37. Always “randomly” have an extra ticket . (To “this movie,” “this art thing,” “my friend’s band that’s playing,” “this lecture that seemed cool.”)
38. Ask their opinion on things. (“What color should I paint my bathroom?” “What TV show should I watch next on Netflix?”)
39. “Like” their stuff on Facebook. (Not too much — just enough to let them know you’re reading.)
40. Text back right away.
41. Make friends with their friends.
42. Tell them, as off-handedly as you can, that they smell good today.
43. Send them a postcard when you’re away.
44. Give them your number, so you can take the conversation off email/Facebook/Twitter.
45. Assume they want coffee and bring them one. Learn how they take it first.
46. Post baby animal videos on their Facebook wall.
47. Remember their birthday.
48. Find a reasonable excuse (birthday, promotion at work) and send them flowers.
49. Send them YouTube links to that band they mentioned they liked, or send them links to new bands that you think they’d like.
50. Kiss them on the cheek and hug them goodbye, instead of just saying it.
This post was originally published on How About We’s blog The Date Report. More from The Date Report:
- How to Have the Best Weekend Ever If You’re a Lady
- How To Make Yourself Attractive To Anyone: 5 Tips That Really Work
- Best of 2011: What Sex Means to Men: 6 Deep Dark Secrets
- Original posted by Scott Alden & Chiara Atik