The food we consume can have a major impact on the structure and health of our brains. Consuming a brain-boosting diet can help short and long term brain function. As we all know, the brain is an energy-intensive organ, and it uses around 20% of the body’s calories, hence, it will need a lot of good food to maintain concentration during the day. The brain also needs various nutrients to stay healthy. For example, Omega-3 fatty acids can help build and repair brain cells, and antioxidants reduce stress and inflammation that are linked to brain aging.
So, if you are looking for food that will keep you concentrated during the day, here is a list of things you could eat to boost your brain function:
1. Oily fish – this is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. It helps build membranes around each cell in our body, as well as the brain cells. They will significantly improve the structure of our neurons. In a study conducted in 2017, it was found that people with high levels of omega-3s had increased blood flow in the brain. This research suggests that eating food rich in omega-3, such as oily fish can boost brain function. Fish that have high levels of omega-3 are salmon, tuna, herring, and sardines. You can also get omega-3 from nuts, flaxseeds, soybeans, and other seeds as well.
2. Dark chocolate – this type of chocolate contains cocoa, which is also known as cacao. Cacao is filled with flavonoids, which is a type of antioxidants. This is especially important for the brain since our brains are susceptible to oxidative stress, which can contribute to age-related brain illnesses. Cacao flavonoids can have an contribute to neuron and blood vessel growth, especially in the areas of the brain responsible for memory and learning.
3. Berries – same as dark chocolate, berries have flavonoid antioxidants. These compounds have a lot of positive effects on the brain like improving the communication between neurons, reducing inflammation throughout our bodies, as well as reducing or delaying age-related and cognitive illnesses. Berries that are antioxidant-rich are strawberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, blackberries, and mulberries.
4. Coffee – as well all know, coffee is a major concentration aid in our lives. Many people drink it to stay awake and focus better. The caffeine in coffee blocks a substance in the brain called adenosine, which is the main reason we feel sleepy. Coffee also boosts the brain’s ability to process information.
5. Russian Nootropics – these kinds of supplements can help improve cognitive functions, enhance mood, hinder anxiety, as well as prevent oxidative damage. It has been widely used to treat stroke victims by increasing their circulation. It also reduces stress and can alleviate chronic pain.
6. Avocados – avocados are a source of unsaturated fat. And eating this kind of fat can reduce blood pressure and high blood pressure that is linked with cognitive decline. Hence, by reducing high blood pressure, avocados might lower the risk of the decline. Except for avocados, other sources of unsaturated fat are almonds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, and fish.
7. Eggs – enjoyed by a lot of people as breakfast food, eggs can have a positive effect on the brain. They are a good source of B vitamins, such as vitamin B-6, B-12, and folic acid. These vitamins can prevent the brain from shrinking, as well as delay cognitive declines.
8. Soy products – these products are rich in a type of antioxidants called polyphenols. Polyphenols have been linked to reduced risk of dementia, and improved cognitive functions in regular aging processes.
The food listed here can help you improve your memory and concentration. Some of them might even reduce the risk of stroke and age-related illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. These foods will not only help you with your brain functions but will help your overall body health as well.