The main aim of the spy camera is to act as an undercover agent. For spying, the cameras need to be concealed, so it is also called hidden cameras. In daily life, hidden cameras are very useful in populated areas like stores, malls, streets, restaurants, cinema halls, etc. Many even use spy cameras in their homes to keep an eye on the baby-sitters or for surveillance.
You can say, spy camera is designed to be used for surveillance, security, spying, child safety, and much more. They are available in an array of size, shape, and price. Buyers get perplexed while choosing.
Get familiar with the basic factors, so that the process of choosing the best hidden spy camera for your need becomes simple and easy.
Kind of mask
Hidden cameras are small and have to be placed in the daily used object to give it a total disguise. The mask has to be unnoticeable. There are different kinds of masked cameras you can opt for.
- Spy clock – Clocks are common and mandatory objects lying around the house in every room, so spy clocks can be ideal to work discreetly.
- Nanny cameras – To ensure the safety of your little ones, nanny cameras are a popular option. Nanny cameras are available in a mask of doll or teddy bear.
- Smoke detector spy cameras – These cameras function as camera and smoke detector. It works best for surveillance or security.
- Pen camera – Pen has a camera installed inside and is wireless. It captures photos and videos but even functions as a pen for writing.
- Hidden web camera – Internet can be streamed while capturing video on this camera but without another person noticing it.
- Wearable hidden camera – These can be attached inconspicuously to the mobile phones, tie tacks, sunglasses, etc. They are helpful to spy on a specific person.
- Standalone hidden camera – This is not in a disguised form but can be attached creatively by the buyer to the other objects. It is perfect for people who cannot afford a hidden camera.
- Hardwired – Cameras are conspicuous as they are connected firmly to a recording device with wires. This kind is more reliable as a signal or data will not get lost.
- Wireless – Cameras are inconspicuous. It includes a receiver and separate transmitter that can be attached easily to other objects. Wireless cameras are less reliable because they work on signals.
- IP cameras – IP camera is programmed to work as wireless but needs to be plugged in a hard drive like computer or USB drive. The video gets transmitted to drive through wireless encryption. It is the best option for surveillance. The only downside is that hard drive data cannot be concealed.
- 4G wireless – More advanced cameras using 4G wireless technology. These work at locations having 4G coverage.
Video quality camera offers is also a crucial aspect to consider. Advanced technology cameras give better video and picture quality with accurate color, sharp resolution and good contrast between dark and light shades. Different categories include –
- High resolution
- High quality
- High definition [HD]
HD is regarded as best. Some high-end spy cameras are equipped with night-vision infrared technology. Images can be captured even in extremely dark conditions.
Majority of spy cameras use SD card for storing data, and few have built-in memory system. Cameras with internal memory can be plugged directly in a viewing device to view data. For the SD card, you will need an adapter to see the data. Data amount storage capacity differs, and there is no formula to calculate the recording time of SD card. Some capture half an hour, while a few for long periods. More image resolution means more memory needed so that recording will be short.
- Post-recording view or live monitoring
- Colored or B/W images
- Motion or heat activated
- Remote control
- Adjust resolution quality
Warranty and cost will depend on the brand and quality of the spy camera chosen.