When doing sports, one of the most difficult things to do is actually choose the equipment that you need. If you are thinking that all equipment is the same, I need to disappoint you and say that it is not. And you will probably not want to make an expensive mistake.
If you enjoy playing ping pong, you will probably decide to buy your own table at some time or another. Firstly, you need to forget about the grand manufacturers, unless you are playing at a national level. If not, it is unlikely that you will need the most expensive ping pong table.
Here are some things to think about when choosing a table for ping pong:
- Portability – You need to decide whether you will leave the table set up permanently or if you are going to be packing it up more often. If you will want to pack up and store your table, you should opt for a fold-up model with rollers that can be handled by one person. A good roller table will have breaks which can be used to stop the table from moving when playing a game.
- Ping-pong factor, thickness – one of the best ways to identify a table that is good is the thickness of the table tennis top. There are various levels of thickness and they might range from 12 millimeters to 25 millimeters. Keep in mind, if it is thicker, the quality is better. You should absolutely avoid buying a table with a thin top, the ball will not bounce well and the table will not be firm, which will make it more susceptible to damage. Tables with medium thickness are good if you are looking for a table for training purposes or some fun time with your family and friends.
And of course, a table with a thick top is the best one, but they are also the most expensive. If you are an amateur player, you probably won’t be able to tell the difference between a 22-millimeter and a 25-millimeter table top. The quality of the 22-millimeter top is good, but the 25-millimeter top is better.
- The price of ping pong tables – the price can range from $100 which is the cheapest to premium models that can cost thousands of dollars. The brand is pretty much the matter of choice, but this does not mean that a cheap or cheaper table is not good enough for your needs. The cheaper models are good for casual players that want to enjoy quality time with family or friends.
You should also keep in mind that the nets are also an important part of the match as well. It is better to choose the quality over the price in this case. Clip-on nets do not offer much when it comes to accuracy or adjustment, but retractable nets can be adjusted to fit different-size tables, but they are not stable enough for serious matches.
- Indoor or outdoor games – if you lack space in your home for a full-sized table, you can take advantage of the outside space by buying an outdoor ping pong table set up. If you are planning to have it in your garage, then it is still better to get an outdoor set. Humidity is bad for indoor tables and taking an indoor table outside might damage it. There are various kinds of outdoor tables, but they all have something in common. The legs are usually rust-proof and the surface is water-proof for the table to last longer. Unless you are playing outside all the time, it is better to get an indoor table which you can still take outside when the weather is good.
– Keep in mind that not all ping pong tables are the same. There are many things to consider before buying one, which can often be time-consuming and difficult. So, the most important things to consider is the size, quality, where you will be playing and its features.