The new year is coming, and people all over the world are hyped to celebrate it. Let’s be honest we all hope that this 2019 will be better and easier than 2018 was. And for most of the people in the world that day when the calendar switches to 2019 are January 1st. But not for people who are following the lunar calendar! Wait, what?
The lunar calendar is basically determining the date and new year celebration by the movement of the moon. And thus one of the most famous and populous festivals all around the world has its date, and it is the Chinese New Year. Now, you have for sure heard about it but never been sure how it works and what are the main facts surrounding it. Believe us, the Chinese Few Year is full of traditions, and it is a fun celebration festival to attend. Let’s take a look at some of the most important facts about it and see what will Chinese New Year 2019 bring!Source: NPR
Facts About The Spring Festival
- First and foremost, unlike the traditional New Year celebration which is falling between the last day of December and the first day of January, the Chinese celebration switches date almost every year. Because it is using the lunar calendar, usually it falls in the middle of January or February and the Chinese New Year 2019 will be on February 5th.
- The Chinese New Year celebration is often called Spring Festival as well, as it comes after the beginning of spring in the Chinese terms.
- And it lasts for 15 days until the Lantern Festival (which ends the Spring one).
- What is fun about the Chinese New Year is that every year there is a new zodiac animal – and this year it will be a pig!
- And believe us not only Chinese people celebrate it – people all around Vietnam, Myanmar, Singapore, Indonesia enjoy and celebrate this date as well! Also, it is pretty popular in US states that are populous with Chinese people!
- It is one of the longest celebration festivals – lasting for 15 years, and most people are off from work while the kids don’t go to school!
- There are a lot of fireworks and the decoration everywhere around is in the beautiful red color!
- There is the so-called reunion dinner which is one of the most important events during the whole year – done on the New Year’s Eve.
- If you wanted to say Happy New Year in Chinese now you can- GuoNianHao.’’
- During the whole celebration, people are enjoying various traditional food, drinks, and shows!
- And last but certainly not least is the fact that with the Chinese New Year everyone gets older – the date is basically like a birthday for all the people celebrating!
The Chinese New Year 2019
Now, one thing we can tell you – the Chinese New Year 2019 will be accompanied by a lot of Putaojiu and Baijiu(wines), as well as traditional rice and fish dishes. Let’s take a look at the festival days itself:
- On the day of the New Year, everyone wishes happiness and luck and meat is especially avoided!
- The second day’s people pray to ancestors and gods, and the pigs are pretty satisfied as they get extra food and care.
- The third day is the day to pay respect to the parents of your bride.
- Po Woo is the day you shouldn’t be visiting anyone, and it is better to stay at home – it is said that it brings bad luck.
- From day six, the people celebrating Chinese New Year 2019 will be visiting their loved ones, friends, relatives and praying together in the temples!
- Then again from day 10 to 12 people once again send the invites to their loved ones to come for dinner and enjoy a batch of dishes.
- Day 13 is mostly used as a rest day, and at this time people eat only light food to detox from 10 days of big eating.
- On the day 14 people prepare for the final day and the Lantern festival.
- And the day 15 is the final day of Chinese New Year 2019 and mostly accompanied by the Lantern festival and collective eating of Jai (a vegetarian dish)!
In case you want to know more about the upcoming Chinese New Year be sure to visit chinesenewyear2019.org.
A Chinese New Year festival is something to be respected and nourished. It has beautiful traditions, and a lot of people worldwide are celebrating it. We hope that with this article we brought you at least an inch closer to the amazing atmosphere that is ongoing for the 15 days of the Spring festival!