When photography and films first came in place more than a century ago, all we had were the two basic phenomena – black and white. And people were more than happy to enjoy the beautiful pictures that could be made and the contrast that these two represented. Almost a century after and now we are faced with high-tech photo devices, mobile phones with dual cameras, and a 4K resolution that is presented on our screens. Still, for some reason, a large group of people still enjoys taking black and white pictures, and we ask ourselves, why? Does it represent a feeling of nostalgy; simplicity; or something third? It is a little bit of everything, and there lies its magic.
Something as simple as a combination of the black and white phenomena can create something as magnificent as a picture that speaks more than a thousand words. And we can see that even Instagram influencers are using the black and white effect to achieve that extra, that lacks on their picture.
Now, if you are interested in photography and want to know how to take the best black and white picture, we have a few tips for you. Let’s go ahead and take a look!
The Tips On Shooting The Best Black And White Picture
- First and foremost, and something that you should always think about is light. If you have a good natural light source chances are your picture will end up great with not much effort. A bit of sunlight is all you need to achieve the great contrast and the light-to-dark transition that makes any picture mind-blowing.
- One of the most important things is photography is achieving the right contrast, and with the black and white photo, it is a piece of cake. A right setting such as a view on an urban town will help you create a contrast photo with numerous tones of black and white that it will make for a striking image. Remember the more colorful the real-life setting is the more black and white tones will your picture have, and the more tones your black and white pictures have the better it is.
- Let’s not forget that if your goal is to express certain edges, shapes, and lines, the black and white technique is your best bet. The thing with black and white pictures is that the behind atmosphere is diminished while the viewer is focused on what lies in front.
- If you master the black and white technique and even converting a color photo to a black and white one know that even something that doesn’t look good in the first place can very soon become a masterpiece. Black and white phenomena are there to hide the flaws and express the virtues of one picture.
- Last but not least take as many snaps as you possibly can. Enjoy the atmosphere and snap a specific setting from numerous angles then once you are done sit in a relaxed environment and decide on your favorite one. You can even make a black and white picture collage and make the best of both worlds!
Photography is a beautiful hobby, and the black and white technique is there to stay. A black and white picture has it all – the nostalgy; the emotion; the sharpness; and the beauty. Master it, and you are one step closer to become an amazing photographer!