We’ve been thinking about accidental insemination a lot lately because of this whole Sarah Palin/Bristol Palin/Levi Johnston situation. Honestly, we feel for Bristol and Levi because their little mistake is everyone in America’s business now, but they’re not the first couple to deal with an unplanned pregnancy. Here are five songs about the situation…
1. “All he could think about was / ‘I’m too young for this. / ‘Got my whole life ahead. / ‘Hell, I’m just a kid myself: / ‘How ‘m I gonna raise one?’” — “There Goes My Life,” Kenny Chesney
This is what Levi Johnston is thinking right now.
2. “Now this gon’ be the hardest thing I think I ever had to do / Got me talkin’ to myself askin’ how I’m gon’ tell you / ’bout that chick on part 1 I told ya’ll I was sleepin’ with, creepin’ with / Say she three months pregnant and she’s keepin’ it / First thing that came to mind was you / Second thing was how do I know if it’s mine and is it true / Third thing was me wishin’ that I never did what I did / How I ain’t ready for no kid and bye bye to my relationship” — “Confessions, Pt. II,” Usher
Usher sings the ultimate “what not to do” song: Don’t cheat on your girlfriend, because you might get your lover pregnant, and then your relationship with your actual girlfriend will be totally ruined. Supposedly it’s not even about him.
3. “Mama lived the fast life, pregnant at 14/ Back in those days it wasn’t crack it was heroin / Shot it in her viens to try to ease the pain/an unplanned pregnancy was made then I came / Straight from the wound to witness my mama’s doom” — “Mama Was A Junkie,” Esham
This is an interesting take on the topic of unplanned pregnancies because Esham is the product of one rather than one of the people making the baby.
4. “Papa don’t preach, I’m in trouble deep / Papa don’t preach, I’ve been losing sleep / But I made up my mind, I’m keeping my baby / I’m gonna keep my baby / He says that hes going to marry me / We can raise a little family / Maybe well be all right/ It’s a sacrifice” — “Papa Don’t Preach,” Madonna
When Madonna sang this, she wasn’t carrying anyone’s baby.
5. “I shoulda been more careful / When I let him rock my boat / I stressin’ all day, everyday / Hopin’ it’s not the case / I hope I’m just late” — “Late,” Mya
If you have ever been late getting your period, you understand how Mya feels when she sings about how anxious she gets she’s waiting for Aunt Flo to arrive.
Original by Catherine Strawn