What is the best thing about upholstered furniture? It turns rooms into a comfortable home and keeping your upholstery in tip-top shape is quite easy. So when you are looking forward to investing in an upholstered piece of furniture, your desire is that it last long and stay attractive as long as possible. However, with the right approach and care, upholstery can be kept in tip-top condition for a long time. When buying a lounge suite or sofa, look for a unit finished in fabrics that match other furniture in your home. Let’s see how you can take care of your comfy upholstered furniture.
- Firstly, you should clean upholstered furniture regularly. As the fibers in your upholstery tend to stick small dirt particles and keep them hidden below the surface level, cleaning it every fortnight becomes very important. So, how to clean your upholstered furniture to make sure your sofa remains dust and dirt free? You can use a vacuum cleaner to draw out all the dust and dirt from both under and above the surface or just use a soft brush and gently move it everywhere for this task to avoid any scratch or mark on the material especially on delicate fabrics like velvet.
- To give your sofa a quick clean, you can take care of any grime or light marks with a cloth. However, every fortnight, you should use some fabric-friendly cleaning product for much deeper cleanse. In the hot months, you should open your home’s windows and doors to enhance airflow to speed up the drying of your fabric. This will prevent creases forming, which means you have to start over.
- Pets can take their toll on any upholstered piece and with time it starts looking faded and saggy if not taken care properly. What will you do to maintain the high end comfy upholstered furniture with your pet love? You can use clothes brush with napped fabric head to collect pet hair or use a clothes lint remover with sticky tape to pick up pet hair.
- We do a lot of things on the sofa and sometimes we spill a drink or a coffee and that will leave a stain. Unfortunately, even if you are the most careful person in the world, there is a probability that your sofa can eventually fall victim to any nasty accident. If you react quickly, you will be able to save things; a fast turnaround can be the difference between a quick mop-up before a stain getting its claws into your lovely upholstery. Your first aim should be removing all liquid possible before it gets soaked into the fibers of the fabric, which will minimize the chances of a stain forming. To do so, quickly grab some dry cloth and clean up the surface liquid. Sequentially, use a fresh, rough cloth to swipe at any marks that have appeared. Be quick enough, to avoid a stain or at least reduce any surface blemishes. If by any chance you don’t get spill in time, don’t fear, as there are many ways of cleaning the stain off your upholstery. You can use one of the stain removers. However, sometimes stains prove hard to remove, which is why you should always seek the help of a professional cleaner, who can use specialist deep cleaning equipment that won’t hurt your fabric.
- Sometimes due to absorbing moisture or home with pets upholstery gives a bad order. This may turn up discomforting to you. You can sprinkle the upholstery with bicarbonate soda and leave it overnight. Then vacuum it in the morning. This treatment would keep the fabric fresh. Cushions can enhance any space! But with time they start to wear making the look of furniture saggy and faded. So where a sofa or chair has loose cushions, turn these over periodically to prevent wear and whenever required add additional padding to cushions. Keep your upholstered furniture always in the position away from direct sunlight, to prevent fabric from fading.
Just keep in mind the advice provided here and you will always be able to maintain the new condition of your upholstery for many years to come.