When you are assigned to a film analysis essay, it is the most exciting assignment you might ever come across. Who doesn’t love movies after all? You have a list of your favorite movies, even the ones that you would have enjoyed a year ago, probably a classic or maybe something entirely new. You might be assigned a movie by your professor. Anyway, you have to stay up to watch a movie to analyze a film essay assignment.
When you have eventually watched the movie, facing the act of writing might knock the wind out of your sails because you might be left with how to write a film analysis paper. Luckily, writing film analysis isn’t as difficult as you think it is and we are here to that. Just take note of the advice’s laid down here.
What You Should Know
There are a few things you need to do before you begin writing your film analysis paper. Firstly, you have to watch the movie you want to analyze. It doesn’t matter even if you have watched it more than a thousand time, you need to watch it again, and you can learn how to analyze a film.
When viewing the movie, keep these following tips in mind:
- Your impression of the movie should be considered.
- Make memorable details specific.
- Interpret the message of the movie in your own way.
- Listen and read the experts view about the film.
- Add both theory and analysis.
- Your argument should be based on various elements of movie theory.
- Reveal conflicting opinions.
- Propose your proof of statement from the movie.
- Give remarks on the setting, plot, source material and character.
- Compare between the movies you are viewing and other movies.
- Look for details that have not been noticed yet.
- Make an interactive analysis, i.e. involve the audience.
- The next thing that follows is several points for creating an excellent film analysis essay.
People actually watch movies for entertainment these days. If you want to prepare a film analysis essay, such an approach won’t work. Prepare for a critical understanding of the assigned film. View it for the first time and think about the following:
It is a good idea to think about recent and historical events when analyzing the movie for your film analysis essay. Most times, the subject that is depicted in films can be related to a different occurrence. This helps you develop a better understanding of the movie.
If you are writing about a scary movie, try not to forget about history. Inquire about the history of the movie and learn more about famous horror film directors and their styles. This would help you go a long way to produce an informative film analysis essay.
You need to keep in mind that you are not writing a movie review essay. There is a clear difference between a movie analysis and a movie review, and it is also crucial for you to know the difference.
Critical Review of Film Analysis
A film review Is very much different from film analysis. A critical review of a film is not something that is widely asked in academic circles. Writing a movie review is just best given to the media to do.
Types of Movie Analysis
You might have been thinking about what you can gain through analyzing film. So according to the University of North Dakota, movies are described as the following:
- A way of entertainment
- Document of the time and place which they were created.
- A way of self-expression and art
- A way to say a story.
The various types of movie analysis paper that can be written was discussed by the University of Colorado. The critical essay and the theoretical essay are the primary types of essays. The critical essay has the following:
Critical Types of Analysis
Genre: It is the mixing of the structure looking and form and also the substance of the movie without considering the historical changes of the genre over time.
Formalism and Discrepancies: This is where the style and form of the movie are being observed and it is interested only with what has taken place on the screen including lighting, sound, editing, cinematography etc. It also considers the implications that different elements have on the movie’s all-encompassing meaning.
Historical Analysis: This is a frequent subject or topic for a movie analysis. It is involved with how historical occurrence are shown in a movie. It also portrays the knowledge of the historical background of the movie’s subject topic if it’s useful or helpful when analyzing the film or the method used to create it.
Theoretical Types of Analysis
The following are types of analysis offered by the theoretical essay:
- Auteur: It is a way to undersee how producers, directors, actors, and others in the movie industry make use of unlimited themes in their work.
- National cinema: Well this type of essay delves into the contribution each country makes to the cinema and the way the world is shown through their cultural lens.
- Ideology: This basically is the analysis of fundamental political information in a movie and can confine race, sexual orientation, feminism, gender and how the world is looked through the lens of the Hollywood movie.
Having to write about a film analysis is not as difficult as you might think it is and be sure to find true meaning while watching the movie. If you still feel unsure about writing your essay, you can try out articles like these: Analysis Essay and how to write an Analytical Essay. You can employ professional custom writing services to help you out with your paper in accordance with your requirements.
I hope we could be of great help to your search, do have a good day!