The death of Princess Diana in 1997 was an event that shook the world. Even today, more than two decades later, her passing is mourned by people from all over the world. Her sons, Prince William and Herry, undouble felt the worst impact of her death as they were forced to grow up without their mother. Her will was supposed to be her last message to the loved ones she left behind. Unfortunately, some people had other ideas.
She made her will four years before she died. After her divorce from Prince Charles, she amended it to the final form. In it, Princess Diana was very clear about her wishes. She left 75% of her large jewelry collection to her sons. The remaining 25% was to be equally divided among her 17 godchildren. The rest of the estate, valued at £21 million ($31.5 million in today’s money) was to be put in a trust and split by William and Henry when they turn 25. Finally, £50,000 was to be given to her butler. As the executors, she named her mother Frances Shand Kydd and her sister, Lady Elizabeth Sarah Lavinia McCorquodale. Both women decided to overwrite Diana’s wishes and in December of 1997, just months after her death, she went to court and obtained a variation order, allowing them to effectively change the will. Instead of 25% of Diana’s jewelry, her godchildren received a memento each. A part of her jewelry collection was taken on a world tour, organized by Princess Diana’s brother, Earl Spencer. The tour earned about $2 million, which the family said were put up for a charitable fund named after Diana.
But those weren’t the only changes. Executors managed to convince the court to postpone Princes William and Herry’s inheritance as well, moving the age limit from 25 to 30. They did receive the profit from their mother’s estate from the time they turned 25. Neither of them ever commented in public on these decisions, so it remains unclear how they feel about them. The motivation behind these changes was also never revealed.