From a research point of view, 50% of the marriages end up in divorce. None of us wishes to hear that their marriage will end up failing at one time or another. When you cannot hold any more pain with your partner, then divorce comes in handy; as painful as it may be.
The emotional and financial costs are a thing to think of to make the divorce process an inexpensive one. After all, there is life after divorce, and each of the partners would want to heal as fast as possible to be able to continue with life.
To achieve an inexpensive divorce, couples need to come together and agree on some issues that would lead to a successful parting.
- Agree to negotiate.
When partners are going through a divorce, it is vital to agree on the way forward and negotiate on how the process will move and the timelines for the same. By doing this, one can determine the perfect and less expensive way to use to aid in the whole process.
- Plan and organize yourself.
Think about the financial implications when it comes to involving a lawyer. If you can plan and arrange your documents by your self, then it will not be necessary to engage a lawyer.
- Figure out on your priorities first.
The divorce process does not have to involve fights now and then. Consider your priorities first, for instance, who will be the child custody, what percentage of financial wealth do you expect to acquire and once you agree on this, then it will be easier to manage issues. The lawyer will only come in to forward the final touches to the court.
- Effective communication.
When it comes to communicating with a lawyer, some costs come along with them. For instance, any time you call for specific advice no matter how small it is, then a cost is incurred. Therefore it is essential to organize yourself, be patient and gather as many questions as possible.
Write that email with all the issues you have. By doing this, the lawyer will give a block charge for the advice he will give back, and this will end up minimizing the fees.
- Ensure you hire a divorce lawyer in as much as possible.
Most people may not find the importance of a lawyer until a time where you find yourself in a difficult situation whereby it’s only a lawyer can intervene. Unless a case does not involve child custody, financial costs, division of assets, then a lawyer is a critical person to be involved in a divorce. At times the lawyer may advise you on issues that do not seem, but mainly, they carry a lot of weight within you in the future.
Having said this, it’s now easier to analyze the most inexpensive ways to Divorce. Below are some of the ideas well detailed to enable a distressed couple to weigh options and have a cheap divorce.
1. Online Divorce
Online divorce is a type of a divorce option whereby you log in to online software that has been built by professionals to support in the divorce process. It is a form of Do it yourself process. Once you register with online divorce service of your choice, you are expected to answer questions relating to your divorce, and once you are eligible for the service, the forms will be downloaded by the software programs.
The final submission of the papers is what you will have to do by yourself or involve an attorney.
It is a less expensive method of divorce at it takes less time to go through the entire process.
However, most cases that qualify for online divorce services are uncontested, and couples agree to work together for a mutual goal.
For a couple to settle for online divorce service, there are several factors you need to consider, and these are:
- You must agree to lay down any emotions that would affect your agreement towards the divorce procedure.
- You need to compromise your ego to make the process a swift one. For instance, one party can compromise child custody; however painful it may be. This calls for a lot of, but once you agree on the way forward, then it would not be an issue to worry about.
Frequently Asked Questions about online divorce
- Time- Generally online divorce services will take a few months, But form filling can take as few as 2 days to allow for courts submission.
- Cost- Depending on the state and the type of online service that a couple chooses, it ranges around $300 to register.
Why consider an online divorce
- If the case is not complicated, then it is wise to go through this process. If the marriage is not contested, it would help to fasten the process and allow couples to move on with ease.
- You must have a high trust as a couple such that confidentiality between yourselves will be maintained to the end.
2. Do it Yourself Divorce
You should do it yourself is the way in which the couples agree to come together and accept on the way forward for Divorce,
They will sit down, draft the court papers and agree on several issues that they feel they are essential to settle as they part ways.
Once they agree on what to do, the divorce papers are ready; they submit the forms to the courts for a decree.
The time taken by the court to process the divorce can take only a few weeks or a few months. This is the most affordable way of divorce available since it does not include any involvement of lawyers.
However, some conditions must be met to ensure that the process flow is a success:
- There must be mutual trust between the couples- There are some pertinent issues that both partners need to settle for to aid in filling of the divorce papers.
- Since the divorce process is a hard task, each one of the couples needs to compromise in certain areas to pave the way for the other. For instance, agreeing to live the house with the wife and the children, then opt out to look for a place to call home. It is a hard decision to make for a man, but if the parties agree, then the process will be well planned and lead to success in a short time.
3. Divorce Driven by a lawyer
A lawyer driven divorce is an instance whereby both parties; the husband and the wife hires a lawyer to mediate the divorce process.
Each of the parties has an option to hire a lawyer. This is a less expensive process if one hires a competent lawyer who will be on the case from beginning to the end.
In this case, a lawyer is hired by one party who will negotiate to the courts on behalf of the complainant.
Let’s say the wife is the complainant and seeking a divorce. What happens is that the lawyer collects all the information relating to the reasons for divorce. He then proceeds to file the case to the court based on the information given and the recommendations for the case.
Once the filing is done, the husband is officially notified, and he has the option to hire his lawyer or represent himself to the courts for hearing of the case.
If the husband decides to hire a lawyer then both lawyers will meet during the court proceedings, request for information from either party that will help to form a good base for the case; for instance, sharing financial information, the business that they own and the intentions to salvage them or dissolve.
Once both the lawyers process all the information, the official papers are submitted to the judge, who will give a tentative date for the trial upon going through the divorce papers.
Conditions under which it is important to hire a lawyer.
- When the case is complicated, and the couples cannot come into an agreement.
- In case of being defrauded, a lawyer can act as a relief to the other party’s soul by providing advice and the way forward.
- A lawyer driven divorce is not an option to go for when there are other less expensive ways to go for.
This is a cheap type of divorce that involve external parties to come and try to find a solution to the success of the divorce. The mediator is a neutral party to the couple and does not sideline any of the couple’s complaints towards the other couple.
What the mediator does.
- Offer advice and give guidance in case there are issues that the couple disagree. This helps them to heal their grieving hearts and focus better on what lies ahead.
- A mediator steps in and helps the parties to prepare customized agreements that will aid them to process the divorce more efficiently.
- Mediators will also help through a process called the Discovery to help the couples determine relevant issues that would affect them in the future, for instance, child custody may be a critical issue for couples to agree on who will take up the charge.
Expectations of the couple.
- Providing relevant information to the mediator, so that you pave the way for a balanced mediation. This is because both of you and the children would want to have a fast process and be able to move on without the past hurts.
- Hire a professional mediator who will help you to resolve those issues that you have failed to agree on.
- Once you get a qualified mediator, he will give you quality services that you will not regret later.
- Therefore it is vital to choose wisely to fasten the process in a cheap but credible way.
- Usually, a divorce led by mediation will take between two and six months, and the whole process will be a forgotten case.
Characteristics of a successfully mediated divorce.
- Both parties must be willing to mediate.
- The divorce should not be contested in any way because it will complicate the process and increase the costs.
- It is a professional way that parties can opt to go for without involving a lawyer which would be more expensive.
Before choosing the cheapest way to divorce, research as much as possible. Consult from professionals or from people who have had a divorce experience.
Get to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each of the ways.
What matters most is how much you are willing to give away for the sake of healing both the other party and the children, the more complex the case becomes, the more expensive it will be as such. Consider to compromise on the issues that will add costs and prevent your future from moving, and once you part ways, it will be easier to stabilize your new life in an easier way.