You have probably heard that water is essential and important for our bodies, but you might ask yourself why is that? Water makes up the majority of our body weight, and it is involved in plenty of important functions which include flushing out toxins from our bodies, it regulates our body temperature, and it helps our brains to function better. We usually get most of our water consumption by drinking various beverages, but keep in mind that food also contributes to our daily water intake.
Here are some ways that water improves our well-being
1. Water regulates your body temperature – the most important thing about staying and being hydrated is that it maintains your body temperature. Your body loses a lot of water through sweating and in hot environments. The sweat will keep your body cool, but if you do not replenish the water you lost, your body temperature will rise. If you are sweating more than you usually do, make sure to drink plenty of water.
2. Water protects your tissue, spinal cord, and joints – drinking water helps lubricate and cushion our joints, spinal cord, and tissue. This will help you to do physical activities more easily, as well as lessen the discomfort caused by conditions like arthritis.
3. Water helps with digestion – if you drink water before, during, and after your meal, it will help the body break down the food you ate more easily. This will help you digest the food more effectively, and you will be able to get the most out of your meals. In addition to helping you break down the food, water will dissolve vitamins, minerals, and other important nutrients from your food. It will then deliver these components to the rest of your body.
4. Water helps fight off illnesses – drinking water can help prevent specific medical conditions. These might include kidney stones, exercise-induced asthma, urinary tract infections, and hypertension. As stated before, water helps your body to absorb the necessary vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, which immediately increases your chances of staying healthy.
5. Water helps to boost your energy – drinking water activates your metabolism. If your metabolism is boosted, it might impact your energy levels as well. A study showed that drinking just 500 milliliters of water boosted the metabolic rate by 30% in both genders. These effects lasted over an hour. Keep in mind, that if you do not get enough water, it can affect your mood. One of the most common results of dehydration are fatigue and confusion, as well as high levels of anxiety.
Here are some ideas for how you can make sure that you are hydrated at all times
1. Carry a water bottle with you wherever you go – this way you can have water ready whenever you feel the need to drink it. The Kool 8 water bottle is perfect for people who are constantly on the go. Its double-walled vacuum insulation will keep the water cool for you. A big bonus is that its modern, sleek design keeps you looking and feeling cool wherever you go.
2. Keep track of your water intake – nowadays, it is quite easy to measure your water intake. Apps like My Water Balance will calculate how much water you should drink each day based on the details you provide. By using applications such as this one, you can aim to take in the optimum amount of water every day.
Water is important to all the part of your body. Not only will getting the recommended daily intake to help you maintain your state of well-being, but it might improve your overall health as well.