If you’re designing a bedroom for your child, you want to choose something they’ll love. But it’s not as easy as it sounds. Some kids change their favorite color or TV show every day, sometimes more. And if you let them choose their whole design, you might end up with some crazy color choices or a theme they’ll get tired of quickly.
Fostering creativity and giving children a say in how they want their bedroom to look can be a great way to get them excited about their space. But it’s important to be involved in the process and help guide them to make choices that will stand the test of time.
Thankfully, there are tons of fun ideas for kids’ bedrooms that both you and your child will love. You can find lots of ideas online and in home stores.
Here are a few theme ideas for kids’ bedrooms:
Space Theme Bedroom
Many kids are fascinated by stars, planets, and all things space, so a space-themed room is an excellent choice. It’s also a theme that you can adapt as they grow older. Making space real for a 6-year-old can be as inspiring and life changing as encouraging the same child to take on literal rocket science as a career, later in their teenage years. Starting ambition small is a wondrous goal. Here are a few ways to create the perfect space-themed kid’s room:
- Starry walls or ceiling. Paint the walls a dark blue and add some stars, planets, and asteroids to complete the look. If it’s too much work to paint all the walls, try a starry ceiling, which is a bit more subtle but goes great with the space theme.
- Space bedding. Choose bedding that with planets, astronauts, or whatever your child loves. If you want more neutral bedding, choose dark blue bedding to match the color of the night sky, perhaps with some faint stars and nebulae.
- Out of this world art. Choose some awesome space prints or galaxy paintings to complete your space-themed room. Agnes My Universe has some amazing space wall art that would look incredible in your child’s room and help them learn about the universe.
Safari Theme Bedroom
A safari-themed room is a popular choice since kids love animals. With this theme, you can go wild with the color scheme or stick to more neutral tones. Here are some ideas for your safari-themed room:
- Safari colors. You can adapt this theme to whatever color palette you prefer, but many go for earthy tones of green, brown, and yellow. You can choose a bold wall color or something neutral.
- Animals everywhere. From bedding to wall art to stuffed animals, a safari-themed room needs to include lots of animals. A wall mural with a variety of animals is the perfect way to create a safari look. You could go with the more traditional animals like lions, elephants, and a rhino or two, or you could get really wild and include creatures such as the binturong, the pangolin, or even a sloth!
- Natural materials. Use materials like wood, bamboo, and other natural materials to create an outdoorsy vibe. You can incorporate natural materials with furniture or decorative pieces.
Beach Theme Bedroom
A beach or under-the-sea-themed room is perfect for kids who love the ocean and underwater animals. There are tons of ocean-themed decorations and bedding to choose from. Check out these ideas for a beautiful beach-themed room:
- Lots of blue. Blue walls, curtains, and bedding are a great choice for an ocean-themed room. You can choose deep shades of blue or lighter tones, depending on your preferences. If you choose to paint a mural, you can incorporate lots of different shades of blue to show the different colors of the ocean.
- Decorate with sea creatures. Use ocean animals in your child’s beach-themed room to add color and whimsy to the design. From whales to colorful fish, you can decorate with sea animal wall art, plushes, bedding, and more. Your child will be delighted to see their favorite sea creatures in their own bedroom.
- Wave wallpaper. An ocean print wallpaper is a great way to instantly transform your kid’s room into an underwater-themed space. You can find wallpapers with lots of bright colors or neutral tones that incorporate ocean waves, sea creatures, sailboats, and more. With a bit of searching, you can find the perfect beach-themed wallpaper for your child’s room.
Dinosaur Theme Bedroom
Dinosaurs amaze many young children. If your little one is obsessed with all things dinosaurs, this might be the perfect theme for their room. Try these ideas to create an awesome dino-themed room:
- Incorporate plants. Green forests were the ideal habitat for many dinosaurs, so adding some plants can help you get the right look. Choose tall leafy indoor plants to create a forest vibe.
- Decorate with dinos. Pick out some dinosaur wall art to complement the dinosaur theme. Let your child pick some prints of their favorite dinosaur species to get them involved. Add some decorative dinosaur figures on shelves or other surfaces.
- Choose a dino-themed bed. A unique bed can bring to life your dinosaur theme. Look for a treehouse or tent-style bed so that your child will feel like he’s sleeping in the forest with the dinosaurs.
Of course, there are many other bedroom themes to choose from if none of these appeal to your child. But these ideas can help you get started with designing the ideal kid’s bedroom. If your child loves peering into the night sky, a space-themed room is a perfect choice. A safari theme is a fun choice if your little one loves animals. Beach and dinosaur themes are also excellent for any child’s room. Use these tips to design a room your child will adore for years to come.
In conclusion, the sky’s the limit when it comes to kids’ bedroom themes. Instead of feeling overwhelmed, start by thinking about what your child loves. From there, you can begin to narrow down your choices and find the perfect theme for their room. With a little bit of creativity, you can create a room that both you and your child will love.