We all know that moving can be a very tiring process for most of us, so what do you do when it is difficult or impractical to drive your car to your new home? In situations like these, it is best if we save ourselves some time and patience by shipping our car. Although it sounds pretty easy and safe, there are a few things that you have to look out for to keep your car protected.
1. Contact an auto transport service
– For people who would like to avoid driving their car for hundreds of kilometers, shipping is often the best choice.
– There are a lot of business companies that specialize in transporting vehicles over long distances. When you are choosing a company, the first thing to do is check the companies that operate in your region. By using one of their services, you can be carefree and make sure that your car will end up getting to the destination you want without a lot of expenses. However, before you decide on a particular company, check the list of services they provide to see what level of protection they offer.
2. List your vehicle’s basic info
– When you choose the company, you will be asked to fill out a shipping form to provide details like the make and model of the car, the year the car was made, mileage and running condition. Based on the information you provided, the company will determine the costs and will also recommend the best way to ship your car.
– Always make sure that you give accurate information about your car, to avoid any problems or additional charges later on. For example, a compact 4-door BMW in working condition will be cheaper to transport than a broken-down sedan that won’t start.
3. Protecting your vehicle in transit
– A good insurance policy will keep your car safe from any damage that might occur during the shipping. Of course, it does cost extra to ensure your car, but it is certainly cheaper than the repairs you will need to do if your vehicle gets damaged during the shipment. The one non-negotiable part of the total expenses should most certainly be insurance for your vehicle.
– When choosing to ship your car, always look over your existing auto insurance policy to see if it covers long-distance shipping. However, if you choose not to buy the insurance, you will be completely responsible for the damages that happened during the shipment.
4. Inspect your vehicle for signs of damage
– Before you say „goodbye“ to your car for some time, check it from top-to-bottom and make some notes about the overall condition of it. Do the same as soon as you get it back. If it is not returned to you in the same state, the shipping company will have to pay for the repair bill.
5. Saving on transport expenses
– The best way to do this, get a quote. Don’t sign the contract before you receive an actual and total estimate of the cost. A specific company might seem like a good choice at first, but you may discover that it is out of your price range. Companies like LugNow, offer quotes on their website. It is pretty easy and you are not required to leave any personal information. All you have to do is input your vehicle details and you are good to go.
6. Choose terminal-to-terminal shipping
– This kind of shipping allows you to drop off and pick up your car at different sites for a cheaper rate. This can be a great way to save money if you were already forced to cash out a lot of money on a big move, it gets your car there faster and it is cheaper. Always be sure that you have a way to get to the specific pickup site once you have arrived at your desired destination.
– Moving to a new place can be pretty stressful and scary for most of the people, but one thing is for sure, you will not have to worry about your vehicle if you choose the right company to start with. Also, don’t forget to check your car once you get it back.