Masticating juicers – does it ring a bell? Well yes, there is a class of juicers which is different from conventional centrifugal ones. To masticate means to crush in a way that makes the food ready to be swallowed. Leafy vegetables and fruits can be masticated in this kind of juicer to extract the optimum juices. Masticating juicers grind food slowly to get the most potent juice out of them and are thus considered the “elites” of juicing.
If you’re looking to buy a cold press juicer for your home, this post helps you to make the best choice from the various options available in the market today.
What is the Difference between Masticating Juicers and Centrifugal Juicers?
Below are some of the key differences between masticating and centrifugal juicers, which you might as well take note of to help you identify your needs.
- Masticating juicers come with larger openings than centrifugal ones.
- Centrifugal juicers tend to heat up as they grind food at a faster speed while masticating juicers grind food slowly and do not produce any heat. This way the nutritional value of the juices is preserved better in masticating juicers as there is no scope of the juices getting oxidized by excess heat.
- Juices produced by masticating juicers can be even preserved up to 72 hours without spoiling if taken proper care. However the same id not applicable for juices produced from centrifugal juicers.
- Certain vegetables like spinach, wheat grass, collards, kale or any soft fruits are juiced better in masticating juicers than centrifugal ones because of their high RPMs of the latter.
Are Masticating Juicers Expensive?
Yes, they are as compared to centrifugal juicers. And why not. Their unique functioning definitely places them a notch above the centrifugal ones. Now you might wonder why to pay the extra bucks? Let’s see why.
First off, the productivity of cold press juicers is way better than centrifugal ones. They not only produce more juice from grinding, but also helps preserve the nutrient content of the extracted juices. Secondly, it is less expensive than buying fresh juices from the market on a regular basis in the long run. SO definitely investing in a masticating juicer is a win-win situation for those who drink juice often. Thirdly, masticating juicers are excellent for extracting juices from soft and juicy fruits and vegetables, thanks to their slow-spinning mechanism. Centrifugal juicers are mostly meant for grinding hard food.
Types of Masticating Juicers:
- Horizontal Masticating Juicer: This is a single auger machine which sits horizontally.
- Vertical Masticating Juicer: This one is a modern version of the horizontal masticating juicer and is a single auger machine that stands vertically. Although quicker and more efficient than horizontal juicers, vertical masticating ones are, however, less versatile as compared their horizontal counterparts. These also have bigger food chutes.
- Twin Gear Juicer: This is the highest quality masticating juicer, and also the most expensive. It is a twin or double auger machine that can grind foods to a very fine consistency, thus producing the maximum juices.
How to Choose a Masticating Juicer for Your Home?
There are certain criteria that need to be considered to make the best pick from the many masticating juicers available in the market. These are listed below:
The yield of a juicer is measured by the ounces of juice extracted from every pound of produce. This is one of the most important factors you need to consider if you’re looking for a value-for-money masticating juicer.
2. Motor Power
The performance of your juicer is greatly dependent on the size and type of the motor fit inside the machine. Larger the motor, more expensive it is. However, you should always look for low RPMs while selecting a masticating juicer.
This is perhaps the most important personal constraint on your side while buying a juicer. However you can decide on the basis of how frequently you will need to juice, the quantity of extracted juices that you’ll need, and also the purpose for juicing.
You might want to look for juicers that are mess-free and easy to clean up after grinding. No one wants to spend a lot of time or energy to clean a machine that is to be used on a regular basis.
5. Noise Level
Most certainly you’ll want a juicer that won’t be too noisy while you run it. No one wants to plug in earplugs or perturb their neighbors while running a juicer machine.
Thus there are various reasons on why one should prefer a masticating juicer over traditional centrifugal juicers. You just need to check various models and select the one that matches your needs the best.